WWW Proxy - Basic Authentication

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

WWW Proxy - Basic Authentication

Postby kdobb » Sep 07 17 3:00 am

Hi,

I'm new to Wingate 9.0.8 and would like to try a http/www proxy with basic authentication.

I enabled Basic Authentication in General Tab of WWW Proxy Server properties and disabled NTLM authentication.
Next I created a Access Rules that forces users to authenticate.

So far so good.
When client browser is asked for username password - where do i configure these settings in Wingate Management GUI?

Thanks, BR Klaus
kdobb

Re: WWW Proxy - Basic Authentication

Postby adrien » Sep 07 17 4:54 pm

Hi

authentication is against the accounts defined in whichever user database you are using.

So if you're using the AD connector, you'll need to auth with existing AD accounts (managed in AD users and computers). If you're using WinGate users and groups, you can create groups and users.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby kdobb » Sep 07 17 9:15 pm

Hi,
thanks for your message.

Ok, I Chose User Database Provider to WinGate user database engine.

However, it seems that this does not work.
I created a User under Users and Groups, and disabled NTLM in the Settings of the users. As far as I understodd Access Rules in the Web Access Control section are Independent of the enabled Policies, so I disabled all policies.

When I'm asked for user/pwd in Firefox Proxy does not accept any Settings (neither for Administrator, nor for the new created User). What could be the Problem here?

Any hint appreciated,
thanks
BR Klaus
kdobb

Postby adrien » Sep 08 17 10:10 am

Hi

how does the access rule look that is causing the auth? If that's not correct it can cause an auth challenge response regardless of whether the user already authenticated.

If the rule uses a re-authenticate result, then you must enter some data in the section of the rule for whom it applies to so that it won't then still apply to your newly authenticated users. The rule result "re-authenticate" is designed to force an auth challenge to enable forcing a change to user login, which is most commonly used to force user login when they were previously authenticated in the domain computer account instead of the logged in user account.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby kdobb » Sep 09 17 2:48 am

Hi,

ok thanks that solved it.

BR Klaus
kdobb

Return to WinGate