Help, I'm not receiving any email messages

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Help, I'm not receiving any email messages

Postby Mumia76 » Feb 02 18 7:58 am

Hi,

I'm a long time user of wingate since v6, I used to have a paid license, but that's now superseded by the free 10 user license. Anyway my problem is that I'm running wingate as a mail server and no messages sent to my addresses are getting trough.
I've just upgraded to wingate 9 on Tuesday because my server has crashed and had a hardware failure. The thing is that mail delivery still worked on tuesdey when I tested it, but now I can send messages, but can't receive messages since Tuesday.
What could be wrong and how do I even begin fixing it?
Mumia76

Re: Help, I'm not receiving any email messages

Postby MattP » Feb 02 18 8:32 pm

Hi,

Have you installed the SMTP service? That is required to accept mail for delivery. In WinGate 9 that will need to be installed separately to the SMTP delivery service.

Regards,

Matt
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby Mumia76 » Feb 03 18 11:04 pm

It was running, the issue seems to have been fixed by changing the service port. I thought 587 was a well understood and established smtp port, but after adding the old 25 smtp port to bindings I received all the messages that were in limbo until then. I wanted to use 587 because I wasn't comfortable with using the old 25 port when it is so exposed to exploitation by spammers. But seems I'm forced to.
Mumia76

Postby adrien » Feb 05 18 5:55 pm

Port 25 is pretty much the only port used by the general internet to deliver mail.

587 is used by email clients to submit mail to a mail server. It uses a profile / subset of SMTP called Submission, and typically requires authentication.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate