Migrating from Wingate 6.x to Wingate 9.x

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Migrating from Wingate 6.x to Wingate 9.x

Postby Kenex » Feb 24 18 1:26 am

Hi Members,

i have tried to import my registry settings on windows server 2016 with new wingate 9.x from windows server 2016 that has wingate 6.x.
the registry setting are not being detected however the key is being imported successfully into registry.

used below procedure;
exporting:

1. open Regedit.exe
2. Export the key HKLM/Software/Wow6432node/Qbik Software to a file.

importing:
1. Install WinGate on the target machine, incl reboot.
2. Stop WinGate engine
3. open Regedit.exe
4. Delete the key HKLM/Software/Wow6432node/Qbik Software.
5. double click on the reg file from the export process above to enter the exported data into the registry.
6. Start WinGate
Kenex

Re: Migrating from Wingate 6.x to Wingate 9.x

Postby adrien » Feb 24 18 8:41 pm

Hi

WinGate 9 is a 64 bit app, so the registry key is just HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Qbik Software\WinGate

Normally the WinGate 9 installer will migrate old settings, but since you installed first it wouldn't have been there to migrate.

You can probably just run the WinGate 9 installer again. If that doesn't work, you may need to remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Qbik Software\WinGate first

Regards

Adrien de Croy
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby Kenex » Feb 26 18 7:52 pm

Hi Adrien,

i modified my exported key to read the directory "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Qbik Software\WinGate" instead of ../Software/Wow6432node/Qbik Software and imported it on the new server.
i was able to view the IPs and the assumed users under rules. However, when i check under users, none of the assumed users is listed
Kenex

Postby adrien » Mar 04 18 9:03 am

Hi

the WinGate 6 assumed users was replaced by credential rules.

WinGate normally does a migration on this as part of the upgrade process, so if you're manually editing registry files, some of these steps won't happen.

You may need to go back to square one for this sorry, basically wipe WinGate 9, install WinGate 6, get your old settings in there, then re-install WinGate 9 so it can do the migration steps.

Regards

Adrien de Croy
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate