Basic setup questions

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Basic setup questions

Postby NFH » Feb 27 18 10:51 am

I've just installed WinGate on a Windows Server 2008 box. I've managed to change the port from 80 to another one and I easily made the proxy visible to the internet. But I'm experiencing the following problems:

• Anyone can use the proxy without authenticating. I've done plenty of Google searches and I can't find any simple instructions on how to restrict the proxy to the configured users. Surely securing the proxy can't be such an unusual task?
  • There is no obvious way of setting an administrator password.
  • The logs at C:\Program Files\WinGate\Logs\Global don't seem to show the URLs visited.

Can anyone help please?
NFH

Re: Basic setup questions

Postby MattP » Mar 16 18 8:20 pm

Hi,

You can use web access rules to force users to authenticate. Create a new web access rule, name it force authentication or a name of your choice and set the rule result to "force client to (re)authenticate"
On the Who tab change the drop-down to "everyone except users specified below" and choose the Authenticated users group.
Leave the Where tab set to everywhere, set the What tab to everything and leave the When tab set to always.
Make sure that the rule is at the top of your list, now all connections will need to be authenticated.

To set a password for a user, right click the user in Control Panel::Users and Groups in the WinGate console and select "Set password".

The WWW proxy usage log will show the requested URLs.

Regards,

Matt
MattP
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate