Remove automatic failover when adaptor is removed

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Remove automatic failover when adaptor is removed

Postby WinGreat » Sep 29 18 2:23 pm

I have a setup with Wingate running on a machine connected to a router via one LAN cable and one tethered mobile phone. I can create a proxy from my mobile data connection and it works great.

The only problem is when the phone is disconnected or signal is lost it becomes untethered from the machine and Wingate automatically reverts to using the LAN connection (and IP address) rather than just failing to connect to the tethered mobile. I have the the mobile connection set up as a Gateway with 'Use specified connections in priority order (failover)' with no other connections as failover.

Is there any way to stop the automatic failover and just lock a proxy to one connection/adaptor even if it is removed?

This is basically the same issue that was ran into in this thread (some years ago): viewtopic.php?f=12&t=40264

Many thanks
WinGreat

Re: Remove automatic failover when adaptor is removed

Postby adrien » Oct 09 18 2:59 pm

Hi

under the IP address setting in the gateway rule, did you select a specific IP? That should cause WinGate to bind to that IP before making a connection, which will fail if that interface is gone.

If you're only using 1 adapter, then all of the schemes for how to choose a gateway should result in the same behaviour. It would use the LAN adapter only if it were not WinGate choosing the local interface to bind to before making a connection.

Regards

Adrien de Croy
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby adrien » Oct 09 18 3:07 pm

OK I can see the problem. If the gateway is seen as unavailable (which it will be if the interface is gone) then the gateway manager won't return it as an option.

We'll need to make some changes to get that working.

In the meantime, there is a way to alter the gateway information from the script runtimes.

Session.Interface can be written to with an IP address in string form (e.g quoted) such as

Session.Interface = "192.168.0.1"

This may be of some use if the interface you're wanting to use always has the same IP.

the gateway policy would need to be cleared though I think.

Regards

Adrien de Croy
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby WinGreat » Oct 10 18 10:15 am

Many thanks for your response Adrien. It would be great if this could make its way into a future version.

In the meantime I'll try and implement your workaround using the script runtimes.

Cheers
WinGreat

Return to WinGate