Wingate User PW and more questions

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Wingate User PW and more questions

Postby IntraMan » Nov 14 18 2:48 am

Hello folks,

i want to use wingate with user credentials. So that me as a user using wingate-proxy with credentials, but i didnt find any options. Also in Internet Explorer there is beside the proxy options no fields for user credentials?

my second question is, how i can use wingate if proxy is activated but also want to visit intranet pages, i dont want to use the IE function to avoid proxy if i use intranet pages, there must be another way?

greetings
IntraMan

Re: Wingate User PW and more questions

Postby adrien » Nov 14 18 11:19 am

Hi

authentication in http is a challenge based system. the client makes a request, the proxy challenges it (407 response) which also advertises the supported methods, the browser makes the request again with credentials. This can involve prompting the user for user/pass or just automatically using existing credentials (such as the current logged in Windows user) if the proxy advertises support for NTLM or Negotiate.

So IE and chrome don't have a place to put proxy credentials (unlike Firefox).

The next thing to keep in mind is that by default WinGate does not challenge for authentication. It won't do this unless policy requires it. This means:

1. web access rules:
* require knowledge of the user (i.e. not Everybody); or
* explicitly use a re-authenticate rule (don't usually need this, and it can be trouble if you set it up wrong).

It's normal to want some sites to be accessible without authentication, while others may be accessible to only certain users or groups.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby IntraMan » Nov 14 18 7:38 pm

Hi adrien,

thank you for your hint, in our case we only need authentication when using proxy. I want to set for example 5 Users with 5 accounts in Wingate created, when using the proxy they need to verify due to credentials. But i dont know how to do this and would be thankful, if someone show me, how i do this.

greetings
IntraMan

Postby adrien » Nov 15 18 5:23 pm

Hi

check out this video on web access control, in the middle of the video it covers authentication

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTZYImHBmJY
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate