WWW Proxy Server "Time out idle connections" setting

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

WWW Proxy Server "Time out idle connections" setting

Postby Ilya » Mar 10 21 6:20 am

Hi

"WWW Proxy Service" service has "Time out idle connection" setting. At first i thought that "Idle connection" is such connection that does not transmits data for a specified time. But apparently it is not so. I made simple HTTP Filter that stores all data received from server and transfers them to client with portions of 1 byte at intervals of 1 second (countdown of the first interval starts at the beginning of HTTPFilterResponse callback). This way to keep connection alive did not work, WinGate aborted it with message: "Session terminated: timed out". Does it mean that in terms of WinGate the connection from my experiment was idle? Can you please explain which connection WinGate considers is active and which is idle?
Ilya

Re: WWW Proxy Server "Time out idle connections" setting

Postby adrien » Mar 11 21 10:18 am

привет Иля

I checked the code where update timeouts is called, and it only seems to be when some data is received from a socket (either from client or server) or when a chunk of data is sent to a client when WinGate is acting as a web server.

This is a bug, and we will need to fix it. It means our cache module for instance would time out serving a cached file if the timeout was set too short and/or the transfer took too long.

If you are trying to get a client to stay alive while you are scanning data, you could try appending whole headers that can be discarded. E.g.

X-SCANNING-UPDATE: 10
X-SCANNING-UPDATE: 20

etc. It would be interesting to see how browsers react to receiving headers like this for a long time prior to data. However, in the end the person on the browser can still give up waiting if no real progress is shown. I actually wrote an I-D for this using 1xx status messages to tell the browser what was happening. But no browser vendor is interested in solving these kinds of problem unfortunately.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate