Script error on initial startup after install

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Script error on initial startup after install

Postby traxtech » Aug 05 21 2:19 pm

I an trying to use Wingate to replace older installations of ISA server on Server 2003 (for internet access) and Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0 on Winnt4.0 (edge proxy firewall). The old systems function just fine, but it is getting hard to find hardware that will run them. Proxy 2.0 works well for us by publishing to several internal servers and sites from one IP address, so we'd like to retain that.

Wingate seems to be the natural replacement. I have installed both Version 8 and 9 several times. The test machine is a Dell 790 running a fresh install of Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. The machine is equipped with 2 NICs, one with an external address and one with a private internal address. Internet access is fine from the machine either through the external card or from the internal network and our current outbound proxy (the ISA server). Internet sites are pinging fine.

After Wingate install, a first time run of the program displays the connection screen to localhost, and after selection then displays the welcome screen. Before displaying the user database selection window, a script error page displays, informing that a page cannot be reached (the URL line is displaying a //network/ path that appears to be unreachable from the program). Either stopping the script or allowing it to continue results in the same result. When trying to select Configure Network Adapters or any other menu item, I get that same page display error in IE with different paths which cannot be reached. I assume that it is trying to change to another page on either the Wingate site or an intranet-style setup on this machine. I have no experience with the system and cannot find any similar questions in the forum just yet. I have also tried using Windows and Wingate user database options to see if that changed anything. It did not. There is only one user for the machine at this time, administrator with no password.

I am going to try the program on a fresh Server 2003 machine just as a last resort, but really would like to use the smaller Win 7 machines in our inventory if possible.

Is it something simple I am completely overlooking, or is this machine o/s combination a problem?

Thanks for any assistance.

David
traxtech

Re: Script error on initial startup after install

Postby adrien » Aug 09 21 11:57 am

Hi David

The only time you'd get a script error in a tab in WinGate Management is when an embedded Internet Explorer window that is showing the welcome page throws that up.

You can just close the script, and navigate off. It will be related to the version of Internet Explorer you have running on that Windows 7 install. There may be some updates you can do to bring IE a bit more up to date, but since the welcome screen is largely cosmetic you may prefer to ignore it. The other place embedded IE is used is in the help tabs, also largely cosmetic.

Regards

Adrien de Croy
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby traxtech » Aug 10 21 6:37 am

The page it is trying to visit at the script error is "networking". I have gone on by the error and during configuration, discovered that the network drivers are not installed. I have requested a copy of the driver and expect to receive it from sales today. The extended network service cannot start without it, so that's probably what was wrong all along. Will let you know.
traxtech

Postby adrien » Aug 10 21 12:46 pm

Hi

The driver is in the installer you would have needed to run in order to install WinGate at all. It's a selectable component in the install.

The networking page will still show even without the driver installed - that tab shows the network adapters in your system. The whole thing is designed to work with or without the WinGate Network driver, and we don't recommend installing the driver unless you need the driver features, which are:

1. NAT
2. connection interception to a proxy
3. Firewall
4. VPN

The firewall in Windows itself does a perfectly acceptable job, so it would only be if you require NAT or connection interception that you would want the driver. If your client computers are configured to use a proxy, you possibly don't need the driver.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby traxtech » Aug 14 21 6:48 pm

Thank you Adrien! Joan emailed to me the .inf file after several install attempts had not gotten it done. Once is was in the proper folder, everything worked just fine. This happened on multiple similar and identical Win 7 64-bit units. Don't have a clue why the network drivers did not install, but they just plain weren't there in the Vista folder. We need NAT and Revers Proxy, so the Extended Network Service was necessary. I very much like the logging capabilities as well.

A couple more questions:
1.) Does Wingate plan to offer caching for Reverse Proxy visits in the future? That was one of the favorite features of Proxy Server 2.0, but absolutely not necessary right now.
2.) What happens when the system gets to the maximum number of concurrent users? Does it display some sort of message to those trying to connect, or shut down, or ???? If we get to that point, is it simple enough to purchase additional users and get the license switched out quickly?

It's like trying to decide to staff a church for Christmas and Easter. Once a week we'll have multiple concurrent users during a 4-6 hour period. The rest of the time it will probably be completely random. Sigh....

Thank you for your help and advice.
traxtech

Postby adrien » Aug 18 21 11:04 am

Hi

I think caching already works for reverse proxy. Generally there's not much point as the back end server is usually local, and most CMS products go to lengths to disable it on scripted output, so in general you only offload back-end work for static assets. But there may be some settings in the CMS / on your back end servers to enable the proxy to cache dynamic content.

When the max concurrent users limit is hit, the user gets a page back saying the license count limit is exceeded.

P.s you don't need the driver for reverse proxy, but you do for NAT.

I wonder why the inf file wasn't installed? We haven't had any reports of this before, and it's worked the same way in that regard for over a decade.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate