Log of what is a client is trying to access?

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Log of what is a client is trying to access?

Postby nanto_himawan » Mar 17 22 8:44 pm

Hi,

In CCProxy, there's a log of what the clients are trying to access. I find this useful when we want to open a site minimally for what the client needs to navigate on the website. Many sites have links to other domain names, so opening just the main url doesn't work. Is there something similar we can do in WinGate?
nanto_himawan

Re: Log of what is a client is trying to access?

Postby adrien » Mar 18 22 1:10 pm

Hi

WinGate logs all the requests in the log files. I'm not sure what more you want to log? This includes what the client is trying to access.

Or do you mean you want to log it differently?

We find to see which sites need to be allowed in order to view a page, the easiest way is to use inspection on the page. E.g. in chrome right click the page, choose inspect, then select the network tab. When you refresh the page you will see what requests are being made, which are blocked, and then you can add them.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby nanto_himawan » Mar 20 22 11:00 pm

Hi Adrien,

Thank you for your response. Are you talking about the log that is only available on the paid versions?

-nanto
nanto_himawan

Postby adrien » Mar 22 22 10:12 am

The diagnostic logs also log the requests made, so you can find the information in there too. Those are available in all versions.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby nanto_himawan » Mar 23 22 8:40 pm

Hi Adrien,

Are you talking about Global Diagnostic log? Within it, thare are files such as date_000_Global.log.

Firstly, I don't see any requests in any of the previous files, and I am sure that some requests are made in the past.

Secondly, I tried opening a website that has been granted access. However, I don't see any requests either, and the log was not even updated. The last modified time stamp is still the same as before the request was made.

-nanto
nanto_himawan

Postby adrien » Mar 25 22 10:41 pm

Hi

If you go to the sources tab in WinGate > Control Panel > Logging, and find the diagnostic log for the WWW Proxy, or alternatively go to the logging tab on the WWW Proxy itself in WinGate > Control Panel > Services, then you can set the proxy to have its own log file, and log at it's own severity level.

Otherwise it will log to the global log file, and only log events that are more severe than the severity level you've set for the global log file.

If there are still no requests being logged, are the requests even going through the proxy? What do you see in WinGate > Monitoring > Activity when your browser makes requests?

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby nanto_himawan » Mar 28 22 3:37 pm

Hi Adrien,

Ok...thank you. I found it. But it doesn't say if the request is allowed or blocked by WinGate, does it? And it doesn't seem to be writing to the correct file. It's writing to 20220325_000, instead of 20220328_000, which is date the of the request.

-nanto
nanto_himawan

Postby adrien » Apr 10 22 11:23 am

HI

did you alter the file name template in the logging settings? Normally it should be impossible for WinGate to get this wrong.

Is it still just writing to that same file?

The response ('status') code indicates whether the request was permitted. Anything other than a 2xx or 3xx code indicates it was blocked.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate