Terrible problems with wingate 5.x.x and XP Pro

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Terrible problems with wingate 5.x.x and XP Pro

Postby tmrann » Sep 27 03 1:11 pm

Hello all
I am having terrible trouble with Wingate running on Windows XP Pro. I have been trying to resolve this problem for quite some time now. I'm currently trying to use Wingate 5.0.7.
- Windows XP will stay connected to the internet for Weeks through a dialup without Wingate running. When I start Wingate the PC will reboot any time from 1 minute to 8 hours.
- I have removed and reinstalled Wingate MANY times.
- I have reloaded Windows several times.
- I have checked for updated Motherboad BIOS & drivers, Video Drivers, Modem drivers, Windows patches etc...
- I have tried various versions of Wingate 5.
- I have tried to load Wingate without ENS.
- I have tried disabling DHCP & DNS.
- I have tried the BETA ENS driver

The BETA ENS driver seems to be more stable but it eventually reports errors or Wingate becomes unusable - it just hangs with a yellow screen in the system tray icon.

I am using a dialup with a static IP, the internal NIC is configured as 192.168.0.5/255.255.255.0 with no other DNS, Gateway or WINS settings. DHCP is disabled because there is already a DHCP server on the LAN.

Please Help

Regards
Trevor
tmrann

Postby adrien » Sep 27 03 6:24 pm

what sort of network card are you using?

We have found a few issues recently with some common cards, those that use hardware checksums will need the hardware checksums turned off if you are using VPN or Transparent redirection (these are the only two functions in WinGate that modify outbound packets from the local stack).

Also if you are running an Intel Pro/100+ Management adapter, and it is using a montoring agent (Promon.exe) then you need to make sure that does not run.

We have some new beta drivers too if you would like to try, I can send you one for XP. It is quite a bit more stable than the old ENS beta driver even.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby tmrann » Sep 29 03 5:17 pm

Hi Adrien
I'm using a realtek RTL8139 - on board Fast NIC, it's a Gigabyte Motherboard. Using the Microsoft drivers at the moment.

Please send me the new beta, I'll give it a try

Thanks
Trevor
tmrann

Postby adrien » Sep 29 03 10:47 pm

OK, just sent the zip file.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby tmrann » Oct 16 03 12:18 am

Hi Adrien

I have just tried to apply the patches you sent and the problem is now much worse. XP wont fully load anymore, it starts to load, then flashes a blue screen of death and reboots. The blue screen doesn't stay on long enough to read the error. If I try to start in safe mode, it gets as far as loading qbikhxp.sys file then reboots. I can no longer get my XP machine online.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Trevor
tmrann

Postby tmrann » Oct 24 03 12:04 pm

Any thoughts ... anyone? Am I a shot duck?
tmrann

Postby adrien » Oct 24 03 2:01 pm

Hi, sorry, missed that - the release of 5.0.10 went out after those files I sent you, which had a couple of fixes in them... we also have a couple more mods we have made to solve a couple of issues...

could we send you another driver to try? Or you could try downloading 5.0.10

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby tmrann » Oct 25 03 1:10 am

Hi again

Thanks for your reply. I downloaded & installed 5.0.10, It ran for about 3 hours then rebooted.

<sigh>

Regards
Trevor
tmrann

Postby adrien » Oct 25 03 1:24 am

Have you done a virus check on your network recently?

We recently found problems like this when msblaster virus was running.

I do have another driver I could send also if that might help, which fixed a problem that msblaster showed up - running out of free port numbers for NAT.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby tmrann » Oct 25 03 1:57 pm

Hi Adrien
I re-checked for viruses and there are none. You may as well send me the driver & I'll give it a go.

One thing I have noticed it that there is always a massive amount of activity in the "Activity" window. This activity is constant and there are always hundreds of entries.

An example is NAT: ICMP 139.130.196.58 <-> 203.41.253.158 repeated hundreds of times. Is this normal ?

The problem really seems like a memory or resource leak of some kind.

Regards
Trevor
tmrann

Postby tmrann » Oct 25 03 2:13 pm

Another error which comes up in System Messages:

0705 ENS

Undefined ENS memory problem - possible cause: memory exhaustion.
Statistics: Kernel mem: 0, Frag mem: 0

If I check task manager, there is plenty of free memory and the CPU usage is fine.

The system idle Process is the highest CPU user running at about 65%

Trevor
tmrann

Postby adrien » Oct 25 03 11:58 pm

aha!

Sounds like something has put your NIC into promiscuous mode - you aren't running MAC bridging are you?

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate