WinGate 5.0.8 Released

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

WinGate 5.0.8 Released

Postby neil » Sep 30 03 8:36 pm

Qbik are pleased to announce the release of WinGate 5.0.8. It is available for download:

http://www.wingate.com/download.php

This version contains the following updates, fixes, and new features:

1. Added the ability to 'black hole' IP's thus offering better protection, and a greater level of control in the Firewall.

2. The Firewall tab has been revamped to give more useful information about connection attempts, which now include details of allowed connections and redirections.

3. Improved licence structure and handling of plugins

4. Fixed an issue which prevented GateKeeper from logging in when the NT database was selected for use with WinGate, and the OS was using Active Directory.

5. Simplified WinGate licencing so that there are now only 2 licence types; Standard (in 3 and 6 user options) and Pro ( 6 user ->)

6. Fixed a loop in email, that would try to process mail every 1 second. Now respects the user configured option.

7. Fixed an issue with email, so that 'Use Gateway for undeliverable mail' now functions correctly.

8. Better handling for NICs that provide NDIS task offload (TCP checksum calculation) on behalf of the protocol. This has been disabled by the
driver, as it breaks VPN tunnelled packets. Later versions will complete the TCP checksum on behalf of the protocol before packets are tunnelled.

9. Added path MTU checking on packets outbound from the local stack. For VPN this is important, to allow network clients and servers to communicate over the VPN without causing the VPN packets to be fragmented.

10. Fix for SendComplete notification in cases where the pended send completes immediately when presented to NdisSend. Also fixed the
implementation of the completion, which will currently BSOD.

11. Added path MTU checking for NAT sessions.

12. Implemented path MTU handling for VPN tunnel packets. This is necessary to tunnel a VPN tunnel over another one, and flows back through to the OS as well for connections made over such a tunnel.

13. Provisional support for the H.323 protocol, which is used by such applications as NetMeeting, has been intergrated into the driver (ENS).

Regards,

Neil
neil
Qbik Staff

Postby Nev » Oct 02 03 2:51 pm

G'day,

Is the download now only via the home page link [not available last time I tried] or is there an ftp service.

Thanks.

Nev.

To follow on post: Ok understood Adrien will keep a look out...
Last edited by Nev on Oct 02 03 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nev
WinGate Guru

Postby adrien » Oct 02 03 3:21 pm

We found a couple of issues with it, so we pulled it... we will be putting it back up soon.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby riaanjvr » Oct 03 03 11:35 pm

adrien wrote:We found a couple of issues with it, so we pulled it... we will be putting it back up soon.

PLEASE can you fix the DNS problems before you post it again. That is all I ask. Dont care about any fancy features. Just make the DNS work stable for ever please.
Riaan
riaanjvr

Postby adrien » Oct 04 03 12:08 am

would love to oblige if we can! Just need to find out what the problem is. Haven't seen it here.

We did make a fix to DNS regarding dialup - so it won't attempt to send a DNS request to an unreachable DNS server now.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby riaanjvr » Oct 04 03 12:40 am

adrien wrote:would love to oblige if we can! Just need to find out what the problem is. Haven't seen it here.

We did make a fix to DNS regarding dialup - so it won't attempt to send a DNS request to an unreachable DNS server now.

I have just downloaded build 840 (Im still running 837). Will see if it solves the problem first. Build 837 gives DNS errors after a while of running
Riaan
riaanjvr

Postby riaanjvr » Oct 04 03 1:56 am

The latest version of 5.0.8 (build 840 but says 839 in the software) does the same. After an hour or two, the clients suddenly start giving HTTP 404 errors. If you reboot the problem goes away for another hour. Checked the DNS logs but it shows no errors at all! However you have to refresh more and more on the clients to get the site you want. Only new sites that are not yet in the cache are affected. This problem is noted in the Wingate beta section by other users as well. The forum wont let me post an exerpt from the log (message post size / illegal characters?)
Riaan
riaanjvr

Postby adrien » Oct 04 03 2:25 am

can you email me your DNS resolver log at adrien@qbik.com?

Also please make sure you turn on debug logging for the DNS resolver and run it until it has problems.

If you could also generate the WinGate troubleshooting report (under Options->Advanced Options) that would be good too.

Thanks

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby riaanjvr » Oct 04 03 2:35 am

adrien wrote:can you email me your DNS resolver log at adrien@qbik.com?

Also please make sure you turn on debug logging for the DNS resolver and run it until it has problems.

If you could also generate the WinGate troubleshooting report (under Options->Advanced Options) that would be good too.

Thanks

Adrien

Sure will do. I will just wait for everyone to leave the office and then clean all up, reboot and surf until it gives problems. Then Ill mail it all to you thanks.
Riaan
riaanjvr

Serious problems with 5.0.8 build 840

Postby inharry » Oct 04 03 7:13 am

Hi!
(please excuse my english)

Today i updated from 5.0.7 to 5.0.8 build 840.
I had serious problems, and have to go back.

1. ENS/NAT

a) Clients behind Wingate server cant browse via NAT, they only can browse via WEB proxy services (80, 8080)
The same thing happens with FTP, ICQ, etc.
Only NAT problem.

b) The new firewall window shows me a lot of N/A leyend on port number... 5.0.7 didnt

2. Gatekeeper client

a) Using gatekeeper.exe from a client machine (not from server) randomsly disconnects from server.

b) When we click on "Plugins" button, the gatekeeper shut down without error.

Please, help.
I like to upgrade to 5.0.8 to use the new "Black list" feature.

Do you need some logs or anything like that?

Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Homero.
inharry

Postby adrien » Oct 04 03 7:17 am

This could be DNS.

One way to tell, is tryu to ping a site from a client by name, e.g. ping www.microsoft.com

If it says "Bad IP Address" or "unknown host" then you know DNS isn't working. That will basically make NAT appear to stop working, since if the client's can't resolve names they won't even try to connect.

If you use proxies however, it doesn't require the client to look up the name first, since it passes the name to the proxy server to look up for it when it makes the proxy request.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby inharry » Oct 04 03 9:48 am

Adrien:

Thanks for your answer.
If the problem is DNS, when you will fix it? 5.0.8b ? 5.0.9?
Thanks.
Homero.

adrien wrote:This could be DNS.

One way to tell, is tryu to ping a site from a client by name, e.g. ping www.microsoft.com

If it says "Bad IP Address" or "unknown host" then you know DNS isn't working. That will basically make NAT appear to stop working, since if the client's can't resolve names they won't even try to connect.

If you use proxies however, it doesn't require the client to look up the name first, since it passes the name to the proxy server to look up for it when it makes the proxy request.
inharry

Postby adrien » Oct 04 03 10:06 am

may not be a bug, could be a configuration issue
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby maxiu » Oct 05 03 8:05 am

Hi! My name's Marcin and i'm 17
I tried to use Wingate 5.0.8 in our home (I used 5.0.7 before on winxp,everything: icq,winmx,kazaa,www worked on second computer thru that NAT i think, and i didn't have to use any qeird configurations,just default ones: server on my computer, client on that other) and it DOESN'T work at all,no WWW browsing, no winmx and stuff!
I installed 5.0.7 back and everything works okay:) even though i left Wingate client from v5.0.8 on that other computer:)
Adrien,could you look,what's up with that v5.0.8??
maxiu

Postby saubrey » Oct 05 03 11:08 am

I too am having problems with 5.0.8 that I did not have with 5.07. 5.0.8 after a few hours seems to either refuse client connections, or the activity pane shows a client connection, but the History pane records the connection as say http:// (without a URL), and Wingate doesn't server the URL back to the client. Rebooting the computer running Wingate 5.0.8 seems to "fix" Wingate for a while, but within a few hours Wingate reverts back to refusing client connections. Where can I get the 5.0.7 installer. I will go back to 5.0.7 until 5.0.8 stabilized
saubrey
WinGate Master

Postby labull » Oct 05 03 2:03 pm

The third entry in this thread indicates that there are some problems with 5.0.8 and it has been pulled.

They're working on it I'm sure.

Give it some more time.

Larry
labull
WinGate Guru

5.0.8 became more stable without Transparent redirect

Postby saubrey » Oct 05 03 5:22 pm

5.0.8 became more stable for me once I turned off Transparent redirect of ENS thru WWW proxy. So, for me, it seems that ENS & transparent redirect thru WWW proxy is a problem for 5.0.8
saubrey
WinGate Master

5.0.8 problems

Postby netdoodle » Oct 06 03 3:41 am

I too am experiencing problems with 5.0.8 which I didn't have with 5.0.7. Sometimes web pages won't load or connect, cpu is bogged down and an occasional bluescreen. With 5.0.8 though this is the first time I have gotten ens to work. All previous 5.0 versions the ens caused problems so I think there is progress. I will try 5.0.7 without ens again to see if it is 5.0.8 or something else that is causing instability.
netdoodle

Postby saubrey » Oct 06 03 3:50 am

I know it is a weekend and probably no one from qbik is monitoring this forum on the weekend, but I have very unstable Internet connectivity using 5.0.8. I am desperate to go back to 5.0.7. Where can I download 5.0.7? Usually I keep 2 or 3 previous releases of Wingate, but I inadvertantly deleted my local copy of 5.0.7
saubrey
WinGate Master

Postby adrien » Oct 06 03 9:24 am

Hi

We can post a link to the 5.0.7 download no problem - we are sorting out download space on a new server - the last service provider had a daily limit which we exceeded so they shut down our download links.

As for the instability, you say when you have TR enabled on the WWW proxy it becomes very unstable?

What do you mean by this - crashes? Or stopping connecting or what?

When this happens do other services in WinGate continue to operate?

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby Mickey » Oct 06 03 9:27 am

I'm uploading WinGate 5.0.7 on TPI server.

http://zory.internetdsl.pl/wingate/wgsetup.exe

If anyone need a WinGate version from 5.0.0 to 5.0.8 just post your request here.
Mickey

Re: 5.0.8 became more stable without Transparent redirect

Postby adrien » Oct 06 03 9:45 am

saubrey wrote:5.0.8 became more stable for me once I turned off Transparent redirect of ENS thru WWW proxy. So, for me, it seems that ENS & transparent redirect thru WWW proxy is a problem for 5.0.8

The main things that change with TR over a normal NAT connection are

a) WinGate does a DNS lookup for the server you are connecting to
b) WinGate uses 2 socket connections - one to the client, and one to the server (basically a proxy connection).
c) any data scanning plugins you have will come into play

the DNS lookup is the thing that is worrying me. There have been a few reports of DNS stopping.

This will affect all your client browsing whether through proxy or NAT or whatever. Are you able to run a quick test for us? Turn on debug logging in your DNS resolver, and run the WWW proxy with TR turned on for a while, and send me the debug log to adrien@qbik.com

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby saubrey » Oct 06 03 1:15 pm

I turned back on TR thru WWW Proxy and I turned on Debug logging for DNS resolver and from a client browser I entered http://my.yahoo.com. The Activity pane of GateKeeper showed some activity, but the History pane only showed http:// (with no URL shown). The client browser received the "The page cannot be displayed" error. AND the DNS resolver log is empty. What is really weird is that the DNS logging is clearly turned ON (I double checked), but not logging, and the Dialer logging is clearly OFF (I double checked this too), but the Dialer log is logging as it has very recent entries. I don't mean to confuse the issue with this logging problem that I am having, but since the DNS resolver logging doesn't seem to work, I can't send you the DNS resolver log...sorry. Here is some other info you may need: Wingate is running on Win2k sp4 with Active Directory ON. Win2k's DNS and DHCP are on and Wingate's are off. I've been successfully running with 5.0.7 for the past few months with this exact same Win2k/Wingate configuration. I changed nothing in Wingate before or after upgrading to 5.0.8.
saubrey
WinGate Master

Postby labull » Oct 06 03 3:09 pm

The couple of times I've changed logging properties on DNS resolver, I've had to stop & start the WinGate service to get it to recoginise the change.

Larry
labull
WinGate Guru

Postby adrien » Oct 06 03 3:44 pm

Oh yeah... must fix that one!

A
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate