Upgrading OS from ME to XP Pro

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Upgrading OS from ME to XP Pro

Postby mikeu » Oct 02 03 2:36 am

I'm currently running WinGate version 5.0.8 on a Windows ME machine, and I want to upgrade the OS to XP Pro.

Are there any special considerations or procedures that you can recommend to make the OS upgrade go smoothly and get WinGate up and running on XP Pro with as little down time as possible?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

...Mike Ullman...
mikeu

Postby adrien » Oct 02 03 5:49 am

best way is probably to save your WinGate registry. Best way to do this is with Regedit - we have seen cases where the WinGate export misses some keys for some reason.

Copy this, then uninstall WinGate, install your OS upgrade, reinstall WinGate, then apply the old registry file.

Be advised that if your network IP address changes with the upgrade of your OS, then WinGate will need to have its bindings reapplied

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby mikeu » Oct 02 03 7:11 am

adrien wrote:best way is probably to save your WinGate registry. Best way to do this is with Regedit - we have seen cases where the WinGate export misses some keys for some reason.

Copy this, then uninstall WinGate, install your OS upgrade, reinstall WinGate, then apply the old registry file.

Thanks Adrien! I'll follow your procedure for my OS upgrade.

One question. Is there anything I would need to remove from WinGate registry export file before I import it under XP (after I install WinGate on XP, of course)?

Okay, two questions. Should I enter my WinGate Resistration Key durning install of WinGate on XP, or should I wait and let the registry import do it?

Thanks in advance,
...Mike...
mikeu

Return to WinGate