DNS Doesnt Seem To Work

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

DNS Doesnt Seem To Work

Postby Paul_Mcatear » Oct 02 03 9:38 am

Hi Guys,

I have managed to get wingate to work on a win2k server machine using winnt authentication, but i cant seem to get the dns to work. If i hit an ip address on the client machine using the wingate client app it works fine but when i put in a name WWW.GOOGLE.COM for example it doesnt find it.

I have spoken to TNZ Support (I Wont Even Bother Next Time) And They Cant Help Me. Currently Its Setup To Use ENS Rather Than Proxy. Please Let me know if there is any further information you require.
A Long Life Is Not Always Good Enough But A Good Life Is ALWAYS Long Enough
Paul_Mcatear

Postby adrien » Oct 02 03 10:22 am

Things to check

a) is there a DNS server running under Win2k? This would conflict with WinGate's one.
b) what is the DNS server set to in your client machines - are they using DHCP? WinGate's DHCP server or another?

If you have a win2k server on your LAN, it may be allocating IP addresses etc and setting your client machines DNS to somewhere other than the IP address of the machine running WinGate

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby Paul_Mcatear » Oct 02 03 10:32 am

Thanks For The Quick Response

They Client Machines Have set ip addresses and the dns has been set to the wingate machine although i have tired numeruous other things like setting it to xtra's dns.

The win2k server has the dns service disabled.
Paul_Mcatear

Postby Paul_Mcatear » Oct 02 03 10:35 am

btw adrien i resloved the problem i spoke to you about the other day. The one where i couldnt get wingate to authenticate the users. i changed it to use the local winnt user man.

paul mcatear From Datacap (Mark Wootton)
Paul_Mcatear

Postby adrien » Oct 02 03 3:18 pm

If you turn on debug logging for both the resolver and the DNS server, what do you see in there? You should see an indication of any problem.

Do you see DNS requests in GateKeeper coming in from client machines?

Look in the history if there is no activity they should be stored in there.

A good debugging tool for DNS is nslookup.exe which comes with NT-based systems... it is kinda like ping for DNS. If you run it, you can tell if a DNS server is working or not, and quickly debug DNS problems.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby Paul_Mcatear » Oct 03 03 2:54 pm

Thanks for all your help. Unfortunatly i dont know what actually fixed it but i think it was something to do with the authentication. But it works now and its great. BTW do you know of any good reporting addons for wingate so that i can produce some web reports or anything
Paul_Mcatear

Postby Paul_Mcatear » Oct 03 03 4:50 pm

now it doesnt work again. i will try upgrading to 5.0.8

If i cannot get this to work, do you know of any support techs in Auckland Apart from TNZ
Paul_Mcatear

Postby adrien » Oct 03 03 5:01 pm

hmmm, that's a tough one... I know one. I'll check if he is interested.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby adrien » Oct 03 03 5:10 pm

Just emailed you a number for a tech here.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

No Answer

Postby Paul_Mcatear » Oct 06 03 8:59 am

I keep ringing sam but i keep getting a message saying the phone is switched off. Ill keep trying. It Seems to be working at the moment and we are pretty sure we are going to buy wingate but we just need to make sure the vpn will work for us. im off to try that now.

Thanks for all your help
Paul_Mcatear

Return to WinGate