eMail access to forums

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

eMail access to forums

Postby lsces » Oct 02 03 8:27 pm

Have we lost the ability to use eMail access to the forums?

It is nice not have to go around a number of sites checking for messages if they appear in the correct folder on my eMail.

If that ability has been lost, then it is another nail in the coffin and I will be looking to replace Wingate!

( I am still waiting to access external eMail accounts so a switch to something that handles everything I need is on the cards ;) )
--------------
Lester Caine
---------------------------------
L.S.Caine Electronic Services
lsces

Re: eMail access to forums

Postby tim » Oct 03 03 10:41 am

lsces wrote:Have we lost the ability to use eMail access to the forums?

It is nice not have to go around a number of sites checking for messages if they appear in the correct folder on my eMail.

If that ability has been lost, then it is another nail in the coffin and I will be looking to replace Wingate!

( I am still waiting to access external eMail accounts so a switch to something that handles everything I need is on the cards ;) )

Hi,
Currently the forums have email notification. IE if you click 'Watch' on a topic you will get notified of changes.

Soon we will have full email integration, but as we are very busy with producing a new version of WinGate, and creating a whole new site for all our various products, those tasks take priority.

Thanks for making a suggestion tho, we will endevour to make this forum as user friendly and configurable as possible.

Thanks

Tim Warren
tim

Postby lsces » Oct 04 03 1:59 am

I am getting somewhat annoyed by the backwards steps which seem to be happening. I scan the list of new messages on the existing eMail list and help out with answers when I can, but I am unable to provide that service on this new list at present.

p.s. I hope that you are actually working on including proper eMail managment - as I said it is the other major hole in Wingate5 :)
--------------
Lester Caine
lsces

Postby adrien » Oct 04 03 2:10 am

yeah, I am really feeling the lack of proper email integration as well!

Comes as a price of the bulletin board software, which is really good in many other ways which we are only starting to explore.

I believe someone is working on a full email integration package - if they take too long I might just do one myself!

Am happy to take suggestions on what you mean by email management!

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby lsces » Oct 04 03 3:11 am

adrien wrote:Am happy to take suggestions on what you mean by email management!
Adrien

Sorry - combining two things in one message.
The eMail managment problem is the fact that I am still running an eMail client to download all our eMails from the ISP, so there is no point using the Wingate eMail stuff at all!

With regard to the 'forum', all I want is all the messages eMailed to me so I can process them off-line, create replies, and only have to pay for the time to download and upload! Not all of us can afford (or even GET) always on connections ;)
--------------
Lester Caine
lsces

Postby adrien » Oct 04 03 3:20 am

the good old POP3 retrieval.

There are a number of free apps that will do this for you you realise?

wrt the forums the thing I liked about the Deerfield ones was that I could use my email package to read and answer. It is a heck of a lot quicker.

So you and me can go around to tim's place with the baseball bats and threaten him if he doesn't get the email sending and replying in! :)

seriously, it is a bit of work - needs to have a custom SMTP received built which can receive the email submissions, parse and process them, sort out all the bogus ones and and stick the good ones into the database

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby lsces » Oct 04 03 6:10 am

adrien wrote:the good old POP3 retrieval.
There are a number of free apps that will do this for you you realise?
Adrien

I've run VPOP3 since long before Wingate added the eMail stuff, but having to pay for TWO anti-virus modules is a pain, so one has to go ;)
--------------
Lester Caine
lsces

Postby adrien » Oct 04 03 6:12 am

if you download using VPOP through WinGate, then WinGate's AV already is in force. You don't need 2.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby lsces » Oct 04 03 6:35 am

adrien wrote:if you download using VPOP through WinGate, then WinGate's AV already is in force. You don't need 2.
Adrien

How - that is the question I have been asking for a long time.
VPOP3 accesses the ISP accounts ( three ), pulls down the eMails and sorts them.
I was lead to believe that Wingate was unable to handle that at present and that it was being worked on!
--------------
Lester Caine
lsces

Postby adrien » Oct 04 03 7:13 am

If you use TR on the POP3 Proxy, or if you use TR on the POP3 Server which hands off to the proxy, then WinGate's POP3 proxy will scan mail as it comes through for viruses.

It spools the file to disk, spits spaces on the end of the +ok command to the client until it has the file, then scans it and sends.

It can cause problems with large emails on slow links with some email clients though but if this doesn't apply...

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby lsces » Oct 04 03 7:34 pm

adrien wrote:If you use TR on the POP3 Proxy, or if you use TR on the POP3 Server which hands off to the proxy, then WinGate's POP3 proxy will scan mail as it comes through for viruses.
Adrien

I'm afraid that confuses me even more. It may be because of the way VPOP3 works, but attempts to route POP3 traffic through Wingate have always failed.
As I said, comments on the old list last year said that I would not be able to make it work until Winagte added a POP3 client.
If you know otherwise, I would be most greatful for a fuller description :)
--------------
Lester Caine
lsces

Return to WinGate