Websites Hosted on Wingate Proxy Server

Use this forum to post questions relating to WinGate, feature requests, technical or configuration problems

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Websites Hosted on Wingate Proxy Server

Postby DBeard » Oct 03 03 8:36 am

I have four websites I need to host on the proxy server.
I'm using Host Headers to point to each website.
The websites are running on port 90.

However, now that I have the proper routing in the table, every request is routed to the internet instead of via WINS.

In otherwords, people type in the hostheader name for the website the proxy forwards them through the internet gateway instead of to the Intranet site that is on the local LAN.

Any reason why this would be?
DBeard

Postby DBeard » Oct 04 03 1:29 am

Anyone?

Is there a support phone number I can call to get some faster help, since Deerfield is not supporting this anymore.

I need to have this up and running as quickly as possible.
DBeard

Postby adrien » Oct 04 03 2:15 am

Is this being accessed on an intranet or inbound from the internet?

If Inbound from the internet, then it should just work on that port (although it will mean the people will need to have a :90 on the end of the server name in their URLs which is a drag).

If from the Intranet outwards, then there may be a problem. WinGate will not allow you to NAT through to the external interface of itself as a destination. It instead relays the connection up the local stack instead of NATting the connection.

However, is there any particular reason you need to host on port 90?

Which web server software are you using?

You could simply run it on port 80, and disable the WWW Proxy in WinGate.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby DBeard » Oct 04 03 6:06 am

adrien wrote:Is this being accessed on an intranet or inbound from the internet?

If Inbound from the internet, then it should just work on that port (although it will mean the people will need to have a :90 on the end of the server name in their URLs which is a drag).

If from the Intranet outwards, then there may be a problem. WinGate will not allow you to NAT through to the external interface of itself as a destination. It instead relays the connection up the local stack instead of NATting the connection.

However, is there any particular reason you need to host on port 90?

Which web server software are you using?

You could simply run it on port 80, and disable the WWW Proxy in WinGate.

Adrien

I am using Microsoft IIS5

I have 3 Intranet sites (which the client will be inbound from local routing)

I have 1 Internet site (which will receive traffic from the internet)

I can not disable the WWW Proxy service, as that is the entire reason I am using wingate; for all outbound traffic from LAN/WAN routing must, according to our policy, go through the proxy.

I can not rely on the client to put in :90 on any of the sites. I must allow them to run as if they are on the default port.

Additionally, previously I was able to set up Non Proxy request to route to the same server (IIS and Wingate reside on the same server) via port 90 and it worked. This no longer works for some reason.

To summarize, I need to be able to run IIS Websites on port 90 w/out requiring clients to know about it. I need WWW Proxy Service for all outbound internet traffic. I will have an Internet site also on this server that needs to be able to accept inbound traffic from the internet to port 90 seemlessly to the client.

I was told this was possible when I bought the software.
DBeard

Postby adrien » Oct 04 03 6:11 am

that should be possible.

One thing to check, are you running TR on port 80?

If so, then does the DNS name for the host that the intranet users are connecting to point to an external address or an internal one?

It probably needs to point to internal.

To get your external inbound stuff working, set up an ENS redirect (ENS settings, port security) on port 80 for "connections from the Internet" and redirect connections to address 0.0.0.0 override the port to 90

Then for outbound to access your intranet, they would need to have DNS set up so that they would be connecting directly to the internal interface on WinGate's WWW Proxy. Then non-proxy request settings should apply.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby DBeard » Oct 04 03 6:58 am

TR? What is that?

Firstly, we only have WINS currently, this is an NT4 domain.
When the internet site goes live, DNS will be implemented, but not as of now.

WINS is pointing all Intranet Names to an internal private IP on the same subnet as the WINS server for all the Intranet sites.

EG:
WINS = 10.60.108.4
Intranet sites w/ host headers of DEVCRUMPNET and DEVCRUMPINS = 10.60.108.244 (and are defined as such in WINS)
Wingate = 10.60.108.242

.242 and .244 (Wingate and Intranets) are the same server, one NIC with multiple IPs Staticed utilizing Host Headers to differentiate Names for the .244 Intranet sites.

When DEVCRUMPNET or DEVCRUMPINS is pinged from any client computer WINS resolves to the proper IP and the .244 server responds.

However when input into a browser address bar, that is mapped to the Wingate WWW Proxy, it tries to pipe it out through the Internet Gateway, instead of routing to the .244 Intranet sites resulting in an autosearch (if configured by browser) or 404 Unknown Host.
DBeard

Postby adrien » Oct 04 03 7:04 am

Sorry TR stands for Transparent Redirection - on the Sessions tab of the WWW Proxy. What it does is intercept connections made using NAT and redirect it up to the proxy, which then fulfils the request. The thing is, that as soon as you get a TR session, it no longer is a non-proxy request, since the destination server is specified as part of the TR mechanism.

So you would need to turn this off, and I think it is on by default.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby DBeard » Oct 04 03 7:31 am

OH, ya, I tried that. It does not do the trick. Everything is still routing out to the internet, regardless of WINS.

I have no idea what is going on, but I put the websites back to port 80 even though wingate is working on port 80 and it seems to be working this way. I'll let you know if it discontinues it's working, because what I know from the manual, is that this should not work. Maybe it does because they are seperate IP address. I just don't know.

Thanks
Last edited by DBeard on Oct 04 03 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
DBeard

Postby adrien » Oct 04 03 7:38 am

in your client browsers, are they configured to bypass proxy for local sites?

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate