Wingate Server to Server Questions

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Wingate Server to Server Questions

Postby The Ricster » Oct 29 04 9:22 pm

Can someone help with this scenario:

Domain1 has a wingate server behind a router/firewall (with port 809 forwarded to the server), and multiple workstations. The Server has a single nic/IP which is private, and it's default gateway is the router's IP, just as all the machines on the lan do.

Domain2 also has a wingate server behind a router/firewall (with port 179 forwarded to the server, which is configured to use 179), and multiple workstations. This server has 2 nics/IPs which are both private, and the server and workstations all have gateways which point to the router.

Now, here's the questions:

If the Domain1's router can be set to use RIP v2B or RIP v2M, and can be set for In, Out, or Both - which choices are correct?

If Domain2's router can not be set to use RIP, then would I need to run the RIP applet on every machine in the lan, or just on the wingate server machine?

Also, would it increase network communication to open a tunnel from Domain1 to Domain 2 on port 179, and open another tunnel going the other way on port 809? or would this produce IP conflicts?

Thanks for any help!

The Ricster
The Ricster
Ricsterware.com
Software and Network Services
The Ricster

Postby adrien » Oct 30 04 1:32 pm

Hi

WinGate uses broadcast mode RIP2, rather than multicast, so you would enable RIP2B rather than RIP2M. That should be all you need to do on that network.

On the other one, if the gateway does not support RIP, there is another option than necessarily installing RIP on every machine (don't install it on the WinGate VPN machine).

If the remote VPNs always have the same set of IP addresses (which they probably will in your case), then if you can manually add routes to the gateway on the second network, you can manually do the work that the RIP listener would be doing. I.e.

say network one has addresses 192.168.0.X, and network 2 has 192.168.1.X, then on network 2, if the local IP address of the VPN gateway is say 192.168.1.1, then you would on the main gateway, add the route

192.168.0.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby adrien » Oct 30 04 1:33 pm

PS

Tunnels are bi-directional, so no need to open a tunnel other way. The port at each end can be different, but it is still the same single tunnel.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby The Ricster » Oct 30 04 3:49 pm

Actually, I think I asked that question wrong. What I meant by "one way" was who was client and who was server. In other words, it is possible for a wingate server at each end to be a client and a host to each other at the same time. and is their a benefit (or drawbacks) to doing that.

Thanks again
The Ricster
Ricsterware.com
The Ricster

Postby The Ricster » Oct 30 04 3:57 pm

WAIT !

I think I know the answer to that already (sorry, brain freeze). The wingate machine only operates from one port, which is mapped to it by the router, so you can't actually open another port for it to use with a different tunnel, right. (maybe thats why I'm getting a connection refused on the second connection!).
The Ricster
Ricsterware.com
The Ricster

Postby adrien » Oct 31 04 1:16 pm

Hi

You only ever want one tunnel between 2 nodes. Any more than that will cause trouble.

You can make either end join the other (i.e. either can be a hoster or joiner), but only one at a time.

So, at each end, just pick the local port number you wish to use for the tunnel etc, and map those ports through the local router.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN