VPN licenses for workgroups

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

VPN licenses for workgroups

Postby jony_jrslm » May 09 05 12:41 am

I have two workgroup LANs, each one behind a NAT-wireless router. The NAT-wireless router is my internet gateway. Each LAN has 4 computers. Am I correct in assuming that, to allow complete connectivity from any computer to any computer, I need 8 VPN licenses? In contrast to the scenarios I read in your whitepapers, I have no Network Server computer/domain. Is it also true that I need to define 4 separate host-connections on each computer, one for each of the "off-site" computers? Is there a better way to do this? Help!
jony_jrslm

Postby genie » May 10 05 4:49 pm

No, this is not true. In order to connect two networks you need two VPN servers - and, consequently, two licenses (the actual license size depends on the additional functionality you require, for example, if you plan to use Wingate as a proxy server you need to allow for the actual number of users that might connect through it).
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby Pascal » May 10 05 10:34 pm

You need one VPN license per network. The license size (Number of active machines) is determined by the number of machines at that location / on that network that will take part in the VPN.

So, from the face of it - unless you are interested in WinGate functionality as well like Genie suggested you'd need two 6 user VPN licenses (Smallest size that covers everything, 3 users won't allow all 4 machines through)
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN