VPN Connection Refused?

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

VPN Connection Refused?

Postby ipweb » Feb 08 04 8:37 pm

I got the trial version of the VPN software. I loaded it on my machine at home, forwarded the ports through my router, and exported the configuration. I then loaded the software on my laptop, imported the configuration and tried to connect. Got an error message that the connection was refused. When I went to the help section, it says that when the connection is refused, consult your VPN administrator. What a useless statement. This is my first time dealing with a VPN. Anyone know if there is an easy way to get the Wingate software working (or if there is another VPN that is more user friendly)?

Thx.

Neil
ipweb

refused

Postby jono659 » Feb 08 04 8:41 pm

Hi,

I got the same this morning, when I went to the office the power had gone out in the nite and the dynamic ip had changed

JonO
jono659

Postby adrien » Feb 09 04 12:50 am

Connection refused means that when the machine trying to connect (your laptop) sent a TCP SYN packet (which initiates a connection) to the VPN server you specified, then it received a packet back (RST ACK) which states that the IP address you tried to connect to is there, but not running a service on the port number you were trying to connect to. This is as opposed to a connection timeout if there is nothing there or if the host you are trying to connect to is firewalled.

So the first things to check are that your VPN host server is listening on the same port you are trying to connect to etc, and that the IP you are trying to connect to from the client is in fact the external IP of your home router.
adrien
Qbik Staff

Yor IP

Postby jono659 » Feb 09 04 11:00 pm

Hi ther this link may help it is the only one that gave me my true ip (behind telefonica proxy)
http://www.all-nettools.com
go to the bottom of the page and do proxy test the one you want is

you came from.

Also check your router is forwarding the necesary ports to your server.

Hope this helps

JonO
jono659

Return to WinGate VPN