Can´t reach server by name or public IP while in the VPN

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Can´t reach server by name or public IP while in the VPN

Postby lreyes » Feb 10 04 6:04 pm

I'm trialing Wingate as NAT and VPN server. When I connect locally to my LAN I can reach my server for http, smtp and other services by its local IP or by its server name, but not by its public IP (I use a TZO.com name, like a DynIP, let´s say it's myserver.tzo.com). The name is associated with the local IP (192.168.2.1) in the HOSTS file of the server. But when I join my network remotely via VPN, I can't reach the server by its name nor by its public IP, only by the private IP. As soon as I leave the VPN I can reach it by its name or public IP.
Is this behavior normal? Don't the clients of the VPN use the server for name solving? Any ideas for a workaround so I can always reach my server by its name? I'd greatly appreciate any help, thanks.
lreyes

Postby erwin » Feb 13 04 2:37 pm

Hi there

This is normal behaviour for WinGate VPN as once the encrypted tunnel is created it essentially extends the size of the Local Area Network. WinGate VPN uses Netbios to enumerate computer names and resources around the VPN just like a normal MS lan scenario.

Are you running a normal MS LAN or are you running Native mode AD?
From your server "name" description it sounds as if you are using a hierachal DNS name (used in Active Directory) which is why it works outside the VPN (normal DNS/Internet function) but not through the Wingate VPN.

Two things to make sure of

The VPN server is set in the VPN config to participate in the VPN
MS Client networking is enabled on the External IP interface (as I see you discovered from your other posts) that you which to connect to.

If you are running a normal MS Netbios based Lan then you should be able to access the machine via a UNC \\Servername or by its internal/external IP address \\192.168.4.1 etc.

Hope this helps
Erwin
erwin
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN