Host timed out

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Host timed out

Postby juanc » Feb 12 04 7:15 am

Desearia to know as is the cause of the message "Host Timed out"
¶I have everything formed and when wanting to connect to me gives that message me
¶I am using wingate 5 and vpn 1
¶Thank you very much ¶
juanc

Re: Host timed out

Postby Pascal » Feb 12 04 7:22 am

juanc wrote:Desearia to know as is the cause of the message "Host Timed out"
¶I have everything formed and when wanting to connect to me gives that message me
¶I am using wingate 5 and vpn 1
¶Thank you very much ¶

Is this message shown on the client, when it is attempting to connect to the server ? Does the client have an active and available internet connection at the time ?

What type of connection are you using and, do you have any intermediary firewalls / NATs on the client side or the server side ?
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Host timed out

Postby juanc » Feb 12 04 7:28 am

Yes the server is connected with a ISDN line and the error message shown on the client.

I use only the wingate firewall on the server side

Thank you
juanc

Re: Host timed out

Postby Pascal » Feb 12 04 7:36 am

juanc wrote:Yes the server is connected with a ISDN line and the error message shown on the client.

I use only the wingate firewall on the server side

Thank you

Ok. The first thing to check is that your server is actually listening on the correct port. Check in the ENS properties, under Port Security, that there is an entry for the VPN control channel. This should be port 809 by default. If there is, open a command prompt window on the server and run netstat -an. You should see an entry like:

TCP 0.0.0.0:809 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

If both of those are correct, it's time to try something else from another machine (Preferably the VPN Client)

First, check that the configuration is correct. The port specified in the Joined VPN configuration should be the port you tested for before. It is specified on the "General" tab of the VPN itself. The server you specified in the Joined VPN configuration should be your VPN Server's public IP.

Then, see if you can ping the Server you specified in the Joined VPN configuration. If you can ping it, that's good, it means you can at least reach it.

Then, attempt a telnet connection to the VPN Server on port 809. You will not be able to understand the response, but at least you'll know if you can reach the appropriate port or not.

Let me know if any of those fail. (You can also email me your VPN's public IP + port, then I can run the client side tests from here, then we'll at least know if it is the client end or the server end)
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN