I thought this was supposed to be the easiest VPN to setup//

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

I thought this was supposed to be the easiest VPN to setup//

Postby rubantin » Feb 13 04 4:32 am

I am the network administrator for our school we purchased wingate and VPN... I can setup a LAN with no problem... However, being self taught many things are a little hazy whn it comes to the internet and routing.

I looked at the white paper which did very little to tell me step by step how to setup the VPN...

Any, "VPN for dummies" help would be appreciated.

Russ
rubantin

Re: I thought this was supposed to be the easiest VPN to set

Postby Pascal » Feb 13 04 8:45 am

Hi Russ,

It is a very easy VPN to setup. Step for step ?

Server
Install WinGate VPN.
Create a Hosted VPN
Generate a certificate for the VPN
Set the policies
Export the configuration so you can install it on the Joining VPN
Ensure the Local Participation is set to "Local Network" (If you want the whole network to have access)
Ensure that Microsoft Networking is started and that normal operation is possible from the network

Server LAN
Set the LAN machines default gateway to the VPN Server (You have more options here as described in the document)
Ensure that all client machines have the required username+password combinations to authenticate on the remote side

Client
Check that you can reach the VPN Server across the internet (telnet <serverip> <serverport> where <serverport> is normally 809)
Import the configuration you exported
Configure the password
Ensure the Local Participation is set to "Local Network" (If you want the whole network to have access)

Client LAN
Set the LAN machines default gateway to the VPN Client (You have more options here as described in the document)
Ensure that all client machines have the required username+password combinations to authenticate on the remote side

That should be it. Then it should be a simple matter of connecting. However, with intermediate NAT / firewalls inbetween you might need to ensure that the control channel (TCP) and data channel (UDP) ports are forwarded through those devices to the appropriate VPN server / VPN client.

If you run into any problems, post back.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN