New user

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

New user

Postby wako » Apr 17 07 9:17 am

Hi
I'm on the trial version. I have no clients connected. My main reason for using is the encryption protection on an open WiFi system. However The more I learn the more I may use to setup my own 3 client network. My first question is how do I check to see that my host has encryption protection on this open WiFi ? My icon tray says Wingate VPN engine running.
wako

Postby Pascal » Apr 17 07 10:41 am

I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to achieve.

WinGate VPN will not encrypt general network traffic on it's own subnet. It is designed to provide a secure private network across a public network, such as the internet. To do that you would need to have a VPN client connected in to your host, thus effectively joining the two networks securely across a public network.

If you are simply wanting to encrypt the traffic on your local wifi network to ensure nobody unauthorized uses it, you should be able to setup that on your access point. Most of them provide a simple HTML based configuration interface that should guide you through that step.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby wako » Apr 18 07 6:44 am

Hi
Thanks for the reply and I apologise for not being clearer.
I have a host with Gatekeeper WinGate trial installed. The host has an open WiFi connection. With Gatekeeper on how can I check to see if my WiFi connection is protected by the VPN ?
wako

Postby Pascal » Apr 18 07 8:52 am

Alright. With WinGate VPN installed you will have the full firewall enabled. Any attempted breaches of that will be shown on the Firewall pane.

Do you have a VPN connection established to another network?
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby wako » Apr 18 07 12:50 pm

Hi
no I'm not connected to any network.
My firewall history shows "Spoof Attempt" every 10 sec, so I guess the firewall is working. I apologise for my computer illitericy, I'm just looking for a way to secure a open WiFi and found this program which is well above head. But the security for using an open Wifi for even a couple computers is worth the price as we fulltime RV and As long as I can figure out how to network my laptop to this desktop (displaying my ignorance).
Thanks for your Pascal
wako

Postby Pascal » Apr 18 07 12:55 pm

WinGate VPN is intended to provide a Virtual Private Network. It connects two computers (Or networks) across an unsecure public network, like the Internet and then gives them a secure channel over which to communicate.

So you seem to be having the firewall working, but unless you are actually going to network two computers across the internet this might not be the right product for you.

Would it be helpful to speak to somebody in our support / sales team, to find out if this is right for you?
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN