Is This Possible?

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Is This Possible?

Postby DJDrEvil » Feb 25 04 3:16 am

I want to create a secure VPN tunnel from my laptop at work to my network at home. I want all net work traffic to be routed through the VPN connection to my remote server and then out to the internet as if I were located on my home network.

Here is what my setup "looks" like:

<Laptop -> <- Wireless Rounter/Firewall/NAT -> <- Work Network -> <-Firewal/NAT -> <- Internet -> <- Cable "Modem" -> <- Router/Firewall/NAT -> <- Home Network -> <- Server>

I have control over the wireless router and of course my home router, but have no control over the work firewall/NAT.

Currently I use remote desktop to control my home server from my laptop at work, but would prefer not to have to do that.

I don't need access to the local network at work, this is my personal laptop, I just want to be able to get to the internet from my laptop as if I were at home.

Both of the routers under my control are DLink routers by the way.
DJDrEvil

Postby adrien » Feb 25 04 11:48 am

You can do this for HTTP and a few other protocols.

WinGate VPN doesn't support NAT out the other end of a tunnel, but you can connect to a proxy.

So, you would need to run WinGate + VPN on the home network, set up the WWW proxy, then from your laptop at work, you would connect through to the VPN, then set your IE to use the proxy server at your home network. That will get you out to the internet from your home network.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN