Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.
Post a reply

Need some general answers on WinGate VPN

Feb 27 04 9:08 pm

Dear to whom ever will read this,
I am extremely curious of WinGate VPN and have many questions. I am a consultant that has been asked to help a small office with a VPN. Before the questions I need to give you some background. The small office is based in California and has consultants work on projects. One of these and possibly future projects need to be utilized over a VPN. You see most of the consultants work out of the office, at other locations and in one case there is a group operating out of Israel. I need six users including my self to be apart of the VPN.
When looking at WinGate VPN, it appears to be on a computer level as opposed to a user level. Is this correct? Because I may need to have a user get on the VPN from a computer without a license. Like may be to browse some file or something. I don't think this is going to happen but I just want to make sure.
Also I had seen a feature of the VPN Advance Server I think, is where you are able to set up two separate VPN's from the same computer. This could be a big feature. I need the user in Israel to get access to a very specific computer, while my self and others will need to get access to that one computer and others. My question is this, am I able to set up two VPN's with the same computer's shared?
Like, let's say that there is a group of three computers A, B, and C, where A and B contain general files while C is a server for Microsoft Visual Studio .net with SourceSafe. Computer C is where the user from Israel needs to get. Let's say I set up a VPN called "SourceSafe VPN", another VPN called "General Files VPN" and another called "All Files VPN." The "SourceSafe VPN" will have the C computer accessible. The "General Files VPN" will have access to the A and B computers, while the "All Files VPN" will have access to all three computers. Is this do able?
Now if it is necessary to buy licenses for each of the computers that will participate on the VPN, is there a way for myself to package an installer for those that will be needing to get on to the VPN? Let's use the same VPN's as talked about earlier. If I have set up the three VPN's on an advance server at the office in California with the three VPN's. So that side is taken care of. When setting up the computers that will be connecting to those VPN's can I give each of them a CD, a download, or something that they can install and already have configured the settings necessary for the VPN they will be needing to get on to? If not what are some of the ways that I need to do to prepare for that?
I know this is a lot of questions. I have a lot of worries about VPN's. I want to use WinGate if possible since it seems a smart solution. If you were able to give a response to these questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Clinton Kopotic

Re: Need some general answers on WinGate VPN

Feb 29 04 11:12 pm

Firstly, access can be controlled through routing. If, say on the VPN Server you setup a route to computer C, it will be published on the VPN. For the user in Israel then, you only allow him to see that route, which locks his access down. (In one VPN setup) For the other users, in another VPN setup, you'd give them access to more routes, which makes more machines available to them. So yes, definately do-able.

To connect the other machines, you need to install WinGate + VPN or WinGate VPN on them. Configuration is easy though, you simply export the config from the server and re-import it on the client. All the user needs to do is provide the username and password. Because you can download WG, it's an easily transportable solution. All you'd need to do is email / provide the config file, and all will be well.

I would strongly recommend that you setup the scenario first though. WinGate VPN is available on a 30 day trial, so you have the opportunity to test the setup and see if it meets all your requirements before committing to the investment. While you're busy on the trial period, we'll be more than happy to help you if you need any assistance, just post to the forums.

Thanks Pascal

Mar 02 04 4:21 am

Dear Pascal,
I appreciate the timely response and the answers to my questions. Also thanks for the suggestions. I will continue to use the forums when I am trying to setup a test VPN. Thanks again.

Clinton Kopotic
Post a reply