Noob Question

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Noob Question

Postby MAVickers » May 04 07 11:06 am

Hi,

I'm currently running a licensed version WinGate 6.2.1 on a Win2K3 machine. I wanted to try out WinGate VPN so I downloaded the installer from the website and during the install it told me that I already have a WinGate product installed and it aborts.

OK, so I go to License Management and request a trial key for WinGate VPN, which it received and installs. I don't see anything allowing me to do any setup for VPN in WinGate, though. What am I missing?

Michael
MAVickers

Postby jamesc » May 04 07 11:00 pm

***After you have setup the VPN, you can also view it from the Network tab:
GateKeeper --> View menu --> Networks.

Tips for WinGate VPN:
/*
Definitions

VPN Host:
The side of the VPN that acts as the server; runs the WinGate/VPN Only Software

VPN Joiner:
The side of the VPN that acts as the client; runs the WinGate/VPN Only Software

VPN Participants:
LAN Clients behind the WinGate VPN Host or Joiner that do not run WinGate/VPNOnly Software. To participate in the VPN they will either:

1. Have their default gateways pointing to the WinGate VPN Joiner/Host on their respective side.
2. OR they will run the QBIK Rip2 Utility Service to automatically discover the routes. http://downloads.qbik.com/qbiknz2/downl ... client.zip
3. OR they will turn on RIP2 on the router, so the router knows to redirect VPN traffic back to the local WinGateVPN installation (Usually on a scenario that WinGate is not their default gateway and do not want to run Qbik RIP2 Utility).
4. Create static routes.

Key points:

1. TCP / UDP 809 needs to be mapped from the router to WinGate VPN "Host"; for exact instructions there is a guide available from here: http://www.portforward.com/english/appl ... g/WinGateV
PN/WinGateVPNindex.htm

2. You should turn off the Windows firewall and any other security suite for the sake of testing if you deem it safe. The Windows firewall is best turned off in the Windows Services on all computers that are part of the VPN.

3. WinGate VPN is a routing based VPN. Each Joiner will need to be on a different subnet to the HOST, as well as the other Joiners.

E.g.
Host 192.168.0.1 / 255.255.255.0
Joiner 1 192.168.1.1 / 255.255.255.0
Joiner 2 192.168.2.1 / 255.255.255.0
Joiner 3 on Dialup only /

4. Check how your network adapters were detected. The network card/modem
pointing towards the internet should be marked as External, and the network card pointing towards the LAN should be marked as Internal. If you only have one network card and it has a default gateway to a hardware router with a firewall, then you can set it as Internal in most cases. Please ask if you need more assistance with this.
GateKeeper --> View menu --> Networks --> (Bottom center will show your
network cards)

Troubleshooting:

1. If you cannot even connect to the VPN, then you will either have a problem caused by a security suites firewall, or you are connecting to the wrong ip address.

2. Check that it is not a NetBIOS issue. So let us say you are trying to access a computer called “JamesPC” on 192.168.0.2; you could test the connectivity and file sharing capabilities as follows.

(Windows) Start menu --> Run --> cmd --> ping JamesPC
(Windows) Start menu --> Run --> cmd --> ping 192.168.0.2

(Windows) Start menu --> Run --> \\JamesPC
(Windows) Start menu --> Run --> \\192.168.0.2

3. Confirm in the WinGate VPN installation that you have the correct participation set for the connection. It could be either “Local Network”, Local Computer” or “No Participation”. This option is local within the properties of the VPN’s you create.

*/
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby MAVickers » May 05 07 5:23 am

I'm trying to post a reply but the forum software won't let me post links to a couple screen grabs at the moment...
MAVickers

Postby MAVickers » May 05 07 5:23 am

Thanks James.

I think therein lies my problem. I do not see a VPN icon in my system tab. Here is a screen shot of my license screen to show what I have installed:

Here is a screen shot of my WinGate screen:

I feel like I'm missing something very basic here.

Thanks for your help.

Michael
MAVickers

Postby jamesc » May 06 07 10:34 am

Thanks,

Have you restarted the WinGate Engine so it can pick up that new vpn license? Regarding the expired WinGate license, it should not matter.
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby MAVickers » May 08 07 2:07 am

jamesc wrote:Thanks,

Have you restarted the WinGate Engine so it can pick up that new vpn license? Regarding the expired WinGate license, it should not matter.

Yes, I even went so far as to reboot the box.
MAVickers

Postby Pascal » May 08 07 8:45 am

You do not have ENS enabled. You need the ENS to have VPN connectivity.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby MAVickers » May 17 07 2:38 am

Pascal wrote:You do not have ENS enabled. You need the ENS to have VPN connectivity.

Duh, that was it. Works like a charm. Thanks very much.
MAVickers

Postby jamesc » May 17 07 1:55 pm

and Duh for me too
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN