Problem runnin VPN with DNS Software Running

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Problem runnin VPN with DNS Software Running

Postby netracer » May 21 07 11:42 am

Hey guys

I am trying to connect 2 offices together both servers that I am installing the VPN software on are running DNS server software for my website

When I try to start my DNS software while VPN is running I get a error msg saying port 53 in use

How can I fix this error
netracer

Postby Pascal » May 21 07 2:54 pm

You can disable the DNS Service in WinGate VPN. Open GateKeeper, open the DNS Service properties and set Service Startup to "Service is Disabled".
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby netracer » May 21 07 3:16 pm

I can-not find any options to disable DNS I am running the Wingate VPN Package only
netracer

Postby Pascal » May 21 07 3:33 pm

Ah, I see 2.2 does not list the DNS Service, it lists the Resolver. This will then involve a registry edit to make it work. Stop the WinGate VPN/ Open RegEdit and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Qbik Software\WinGate\Services\DNS Service

Change the value of the DWORD "Startup" to 0.

Restart WinGate VPN. Note, before doing this ensure you have a backup of your registry, etc. and only do this if you are comfortable editing the registry.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby netracer » May 21 07 5:08 pm

Thanks alot it seemed to have worked I can now run both. but now when client and server are connected I cannot see any local networks not sure if this is related or another setup issue also my server keeps rebooting due to a serious errors caused
netracer

Postby jamesc » May 22 07 7:20 pm

"not sure if this is related or another setup issue also my server keeps rebooting due to a serious errors caused"

--> This is what i would investigate - some of the suggestions below are for the sake of testing if you deem it safe:

1. Do you have more than one firewall installed on that computer? Does disabling it help? Does uninstalling it help?
2. Do you have a networking suite installed? Does disabling it help? Does uninstalling it help?
3. Is your virus scanner scanning the WinGate directory? Is your Virus scanner also a firewall?
4. Are there any obvious problems in your Windows Event viewer?
5. What other stuff do you have in your Programs directory?
6. What is the blue screen of death (bsod) message?
7. Is a *.dmp file created when the bsod occurs?
8. Can you replicate the reboot any way?
9. What Operating System?
10. Is the Windows Firewall disabled in the Windows services? RRAS?

but now when client and server are connected I cannot see any local networks

Generally when you cannot see any of the remote vpns it means either a security suite is doing its job, and hence you need to make an exception in that security suite, or you have conflicts in your Publish Routes; i.e. the subnets are not unique.
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby netracer » May 22 07 10:15 pm

Thanks for all your help
All firewall software turned off
as soon as client makes connection to server BCOD comes up and says Driver_IRQ_not_less_or_equal
netracer

Postby jamesc » May 23 07 9:26 am

as soon as client makes connection to server BCOD comes up and says Driver_IRQ_not_less_or_equal

Cheers. This could be caused by a driver conflict with a firewall (e.g. old verison of Zone Alarm, or a bridged network card or something else) Can you do a search on your computer for a *.dmp file and find one that is relevant to the time of the crash and send it into sales@qbik.com with a reference to this forum post.

I would also expect the .dmp file to be about 64k - how Windows processes those blue screens is dependent on:
(Windows) Start menu --> Settings --> Control Panel --> System --> Advanced tab --> Startup and Recovery --> Settings.

jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby netracer » May 23 07 10:19 pm

I am running a bridged network would that be causing the problem
netracer

Postby genie » May 23 07 11:21 pm

Absolutely - Qbik driver does not support bridging.
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby netracer » May 24 07 12:29 am

Thanks heaps for all your help I think i have it sorted now
netracer

Return to WinGate VPN