Flaky Active Directory

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Flaky Active Directory

Postby pebbert9 » May 24 07 7:18 am

Hello,

I have two servers connected remotely via VPN.

The Active Directory Server is behind a computer running Wingate, the remote server is running Wingate itself. ( Latest version )

I can ping, and browse files on the AD Server. But more often than not, the remote server isn't getting credentials properly on login and is using cached credentials.

When I try to set permissions on folders on the remote server using domain users, I can't because the permission tab doesn't see the AD domain.

This has been intermittent, but is getting worse.

I have tried lowing the MTU, but that didn't help.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
pebbert9

Postby jamesc » May 24 07 8:40 am

I can ping, and browse files on the AD Server. But more often than not, the remote server isn't getting credentials properly on login and is using cached credentials.

You need to establish whether this is a connection problem with the VPN / Internet / Routing.

Also check it is not an AD DNS problem; for example:

1. What is set for this remote servers DNS server - I would expect it to have the AD DNS Server set on it's network card so it can find domain specific resources - such as where to login to the domain.

2. If there is a DNS server installed in the Joiners (remote) location where WinGate is installed, can you confirm the following registry entry is set to 0?
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Qbik Software\WinGate\Services\DNS Service\"Startup"
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN