Access denied / bad password

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Access denied / bad password

Postby wmason » Oct 11 03 3:23 pm

Hello again,

Two questions:

1) I am trying to set up the VPN client on (1.0.10) on another laptop. When I try to connect to the gateway, "(access denied)" is displayed. The gatway logs "Invalid login attempt" / "bad password" messages.

I'm using the local ADMINISTRATOR account on both machines and the passwords are the same. I've gone to the user tab on the client GUI and reset the password just to make sure I didn't mistype it. I don't understand why I'm getting the error. I can join the VPN from the other laptop without a problem. Both the laptop and the server are running 1.0.10. The laptop is runing WIN2K SP3+. The server is running WinXP SP1.

By the way, the error message that appears in the gateway log contains the IP address of the gateway, not the IP address of the machine that is trying to connect. Not too helpful if someone is trying to hack in.

2) A licensing question. It's not clear from your example on the pricing page, how individual remote users are licensed. If I have 3 remote users connecting to a single gateway (possibly concurrently), I presume that each remote user needs a 1-user license in addition to the server license? (I think this is the same as the question posted in the "Purchasing WingateVPN thread").

Regards,
Warren
wmason

Postby adrien » Oct 11 03 4:49 pm

You aren't using the NT user database are you? The VPN can only authenticate against the WinGate user database.

Will look into that log error IP address - agreed - the connecting IP would be the useful one to put in there!

wrt your question 2, yes you are correct.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby wmason » Oct 11 03 8:01 pm

No, I'm not using the NT user database. I was overlooking the user name/password in the VPN properties. After fixing that, I could bring up the tunnel just fine
wmason

Return to WinGate VPN