Games over VPN

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Games over VPN

Postby Diessence » Oct 13 03 10:58 pm

Just wondering if anyone was able to get any games to work over VPN. The only game ive been able to get working is Quake3. I ve been trying Warcraft 3 but we cant seem to find each others games in the LAN selection. Ive forwarded the ports I think that it needs but still had no luck.

Has anyone else been able to get this game or other games that use a automagical detection to work?
Diessence

Postby Diessence » Oct 13 03 11:16 pm

Just to add... the VPN is working.. everyone connected can see each other and ping each other.
Diessence

same happens to me

Postby chespir » Oct 13 03 11:51 pm

hi, i´ve got the same problemas but with apps. Computers see and ping each other over the vpn, but apps (client-server) won´t start. See myu post too, answer may come in both wways.
chespir

Postby adrien » Oct 14 03 6:32 am

you could try turning on a firewall for a while blocking everything and see what UDP packets show up in the firewall tab to find out which ports the game is broadcasting on. Then relay that port over the VPN. Or you could use a packet sniffer. Commview is a good one.

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Re: Games over VPN

Postby Pascal » Oct 20 03 8:18 am

Diessence wrote:Just wondering if anyone was able to get any games to work over VPN. The only game ive been able to get working is Quake3. I ve been trying Warcraft 3 but we cant seem to find each others games in the LAN selection. Ive forwarded the ports I think that it needs but still had no luck.

Has anyone else been able to get this game or other games that use a automagical detection to work?

The thing to do is to setup the UDP broadcast relay. If you go into ENS / NAT configuration you will find a button for UDP broadcast relay configuration. You need to add the port that WC3 (Or other games that use UDP broadcast to discover servers) will use to that list.

Once you've done that, all should be sweet.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby Diessence » Oct 24 03 1:08 am

So do still need to forward the ports the game needs through the router or will wingate just sort everything out with the ports, once ive added them to the UDP broadcast section
Diessence

Postby Pascal » Oct 24 03 6:52 am

Diessence wrote:So do still need to forward the ports the game needs through the router or will wingate just sort everything out with the ports, once ive added them to the UDP broadcast section

No need to forward the ports. When you have the two LANs connected via a VPN link, because they are on different subnets, UDP broadcasts will normally not travel between the two. You will see that some of the std. services are already configured for UDP broadcast. The same needs to be done for the games, so that when a server advertises itself as having a game hosted, the other end can be seen as well.

The original request for this feature came from a VPN user who was having difficulties with Warcraft III over a Peer 2 Peer link.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby Diessence » Oct 24 03 6:43 pm

Ok.. WC3 is all working now.. havent tested any other games though.. but i do have one last question.

IPX.. im pretty sur ei read somewhere that this isnt supported..
So games like Red Alert wont work will they, even though they use UDP broadcasts.

I havent tested this yet, since im at work, so im not sure if it will or wont.
But if anyone else has tried it and got it working it would be helpful to know.
Diessence

Return to WinGate VPN