clients don't see host

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

clients don't see host

Postby Ruud van der Made » Jun 14 07 5:13 am

hello,
I did move my hostcomputer onto a different place in the house and thus the cabling was taken off and put onto the pc again; I did something wrong, because on that moment I could not logon to my provider; with the helpdesk from the provider I managed to re-establish the internetconnection from my hostcomputer on the internet; I can browse and receive and send email on that pc; but the clientmachines have a problem; normal networking works OK, I can see and copy files, printing works OK, but the clients do not connect to internet; I cannot find any problem like this on the forums; can you help?
the IPsettings are as follows
hostcomputer
LAN-internal IP address 192.168.0.10 sub 255.255.255.0
DNS 195.121.1.34 and 195.121.1.66
no un-usual selections
LAN-extranal IP address 10.0.0.150 sub 255.255.255.0
dsn 195.121.1.34 and 195.121.1.66
as above no un-usual selections for this card as well
VPN, name 'planet internet'
properties: general , host IP address 10.0.0.138
options v show connection progress
v ask for name, password, certificate etc
- windows logon domain
retry options number of retries 3
delay 1 minute
hang up never
security
- normal
v advanced
Datacoding not allowed
v protocolls to be used
v non coding password (PAP)
- SHIVA
v Challange handshake (CHAP)
- MS-CHAP
- MS-CHAPV2
network
type VPN PPTP VPN
v LCP
v software compression
- negociate
v internetprotocoll
properties
v auto IP-address
v auto DNS
v QoS
- File and printer sharing
- client for Microsoft network

there are 3 clientmachines all having WinClient
as in Gatekeeper to be seen on the NETWORK TAB
machine Siemens IP address 192.168.0.15
machine Nivis IP address 192.168.0.2
machine Gistronine IP address 192.168.0.25
(host)machine Gistronsrv IP address 10.0.0.150

all client machine do have standard gate way 192.168.0.10

As I said , normal networking is OK, but the clients do not go to internet
When I start the browser there is no activity on the modem and I cannot see any activity from any client
I restarted the computers already for more than 1 time.
The browser return the message that the website is not found due to time out or not found what so ever.
Is this probably because some where the DNS service is not working for the clients?
thanks in advance for your suggestions
Ruud
Ruud van der Made

Postby jamesc » Jun 15 07 4:45 pm

*I presume this is for a full version WinGate installation and not "WinGate VPN Only"

normal networking works OK, I can see and copy files, printing works OK, but the clients do not connect to internet; I cannot find any problem like this on the forums; can you help?

1. On your network card pointing towards the LAN (Internal), please remove those DNS Servers; i.e. those DNS Servers will not be accessible via that network card.

2. Confirm that your network card pointing towards the LAN does not have a default gateway listed on it - I would expect that should only be on the EXTERNAL network card.

VPN, name 'planet internet' properties: general , host IP address 10.0.0.138

Not sure what you are talking about here. Looking at that ip address I presume it is for an Alcatel router, but I do not understand why you would connect to it from your local network - So I am going to ignore - Please give some context to this vpn connection.

there are 3 clientmachines all having WinClient
all client machine do have standard gate way 192.168.0.10

1. When you say WinClient I presume you are meaning WinGate Internet Client (WGIC - a proprietary connection method)? For the WinGate Intern et Client to function then the LAN Clients will also need a DNS Server specified. It could be the WinGate Server, the ISP DNS or if you are within an Active Directory environment it would be the AD DNS Server.

2. Having the default gateway pointing to the WinGate computer can facilitate the NAT connection method (assuming it is available on the WinGate server). With NAT you will also need a DNS Server specified on the LAN Clients.

*And if you are using the WGIC - Is there a particular reason for it? If this is a home network then you will probably be better off using NAT and the Proxies.

Is this probably because some where the DNS service is not working for the clients?

To test you could try any of the following:

http://www.wingate.com = http://210.55.214.36
http://www.google.com = http://72.14.253.104
(windows) Start menu --> Run --> ping www.wingate.com
(windows) Start menu --> Run --> 210.55.214.36
(windows) Start menu --> Run --> ping www.google.com
(windows) Start menu --> Run --> 72.14.253.104
The changes between version 6.x releases can be reviewed here:
http://www.wingate.com/showfaq.php?faqid=2

jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby jamesc » Jun 15 07 4:48 pm

And regarding this VPN problem, I presume it is not being caused by the Windows Firewall being enabled in the Windows Services of the LAN Clients?

jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby Ruud van der Made » Jun 19 07 9:20 am

hello James, thank you for the answer. With your hints I managed to get internet access on my client pc's ; I do use Wingate as a service program on my host-pc, which is connected to the ADSL/IS-provider (for us is this: Planet-KPN, Netherlands). So here it was installed as the host-Wingate. On the other pc's Wingate did install as client; so far so good.
With removing this faulty DNS addresses on the LAN-internal and with giving the proper DNS address 192.168.0.10 on the client-pc's together with the first DNS-address from the provider, the client-pc's were able to start Firefox, IE6.x and MSN. But on two client-pc's email-client Thunderbird does not connect to my email-server at all; on these machine I can ping my email provider getting good answers and no time out; so I suppose within Thunderbird I should have some parameter corrected; I will ask the Mozilla forum for this.
The VPN in the networkadministration is configured the way the ADSl/ISP wants this; it is an Alcatel modem connected onto an ADSL-link so that has address 10.0.0.138 and it worked (as I suppose ) as the gateway from the LAN-external-card to the ADSL-line having address 10.0.0.150 with gateway 10.0.0.138;
leaving me with just 2 identical problems: the thunderbird on 2 client-pc's

best regards,
Ruud
Ruud van der Made

Postby jamesc » Jun 19 07 9:34 am

thank you for the answer. With your hints I managed to get internet access on my client pc's

Sounds like you are making progress.

But on two client-pc's email-client Thunderbird does not connect to my email-server at all; on these machine I can ping my email provider getting good answers and no time out; so I suppose within Thunderbird I should have some parameter corrected; I will ask the Mozilla forum for this.

It may be an intercept turned on for port 25 / 110 in the SMTP / POP3 Server - you can remove the intercepts or just disable those mail servers to get connectivity.

GateKeeper --> SMTP Server --> Sessions
GateKeeper --> POP3 Server --> Sessions

*You might also want to check for the POP3 Proxy and SMTP Mapping Service in WinGate's Services tab - disable anything you will not use.

jamesc
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN