WinGate VPN not working withVerizon Broadband Wireless MTU?

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

WinGate VPN not working withVerizon Broadband Wireless MTU?

Postby jsrober » Aug 06 07 12:09 pm

Hi,

I have WinGate VPN running on WinXP Pro at the office. The computer is behind a Linksys BEFVP41 router. The router is configured to forward port 809 UDP & TCP to the WinXP box. The VPN is configured as host.

The laptop has WinGate VPN installed and configured as a client. The laptop is connected to the Internet via Verizon Wireless Broadband service. There is a USB device that appears as a modem on COM6. Verizon provides a software package that "dials" the modem to get online. I'm able to browse the Internet easily.

WinGate VPN on the laptop WILL connect to the WinGate running on the Win XP box at the office. However, I can't "do anything" with the connection. I can see the server, but when I try and "explore" the server I get a timeout error after a few minutes.

I can map a drive to the server. So I'm successfully authenticated, but when I type 'dir x:' the dir displays the headings, but then fails to show the list of files.

This smells like an MTU problem. I tried to set the MTU in the registry for the dial-up device, but on the WinGate properties for the connection the MTU stays at 1500.

What should I do?

Thanks!
John
jsrober

Postby genie » Aug 06 07 12:32 pm

Aye, in many cases this problem can be attributed to the MTU settings. What you can do is to change the MTU of the server to make it lower - try 1300 for example. You can change system MTU with some external tools, like DrTCP for one.
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby jsrober » Aug 06 07 12:46 pm

So I don't need to change the MTU on the laptop? I thought this was the source of the problem with it being 1500.

John
jsrober

Postby genie » Aug 06 07 3:32 pm

Start with one side first.
genie
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN