VPN Client Unable To Ping Wingate VPN Server

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

VPN Client Unable To Ping Wingate VPN Server

Postby CompFL » Aug 24 07 3:39 pm

I am setting up Wingate VPN for a company to allow remote access for one mobile user. Before installing the Wingate VPN software I tested it at my office to allow me to connect from home. I used the directions supplied in the "Setting up a VPN: A step-by-step guide" and I was able to connect and access a network share on that computer. In this case both computers use Windows XP Pro. Now using the same steps I setup the Wingate VPN software on the company server but once I connect I cannot ping the host. Here is a brief summary of the server and client. The client is the same workstation I used to connect to the VPN at my office. This server has 2 nics which are on the same subnet. I'm not sure if that can cause an issue. I checked the log on the Wingate VPN server and I do not see any errors. The authentication works fine. I have port fowarding setup for both UDP and TCP of port 809 and have verified it is open. I can ping the public ip of this server fine.

Wingate VPN server:
Windows 2003 server SP2 (Windows firewall is off)
Network: 192.168.0.*

Wingate VPN client:
Windows XP Pro (Windows firewall is off)
Network: 192.168.1.*
CompFL

Postby genie » Aug 24 07 3:52 pm

The fact that you have 2 nics on the same subnet might pose a problem for VPN routing - try re-configuring one of the NICs to take it off the subnet.
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby CompFL » Aug 29 07 12:25 pm

That worked and the connection is fine now. One question that I have is why does Wingate VPN not install a VPN adapter like other VPN clients do?
I have one user that might need to use the VPN while traveling but what if they are on a network that is on the same subnet but out of my control (i.e. airport or coffe shop) ?
CompFL

Postby genie » Aug 29 07 12:27 pm

That was the decision we made to avoid configuration difficulties. However, our current development roadmap includes this auxilary interface support as well.
genie
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN