Problems Browsing Remote Network via Wingate VPN.

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Problems Browsing Remote Network via Wingate VPN.

Postby leedaniels » Oct 21 03 5:14 am

Dear All,

I'm having problems browsing the remote network via WingateVPN.

My setup is as follows:

Remote Lan:
Win98se PC running Wingate 5.0.10 and Trial VPN (IP 192.168.0.3) connected to Internet via dialup ISDN adapter.
NT4 Server (IP 192.168.0.7)

Local:
Windows 2000pro laptop running WingateVPN 1.0.10 connected to Internet via dialup 56k modem.

I can connect to the remote VPN all ok, via the local GatekeeperVPN I can expand the network down to the remote server ( the server icon is blue and does not say inaccessible ). Yet when I right mouse click the remote server and do open or explore nothing happens. I'm presuming it should show the shared folders / printers.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Lee Daniels
leedaniels

Postby dparry » Oct 23 03 2:11 pm

Lee,

I had similar problems initially, I'm not sure if this is the correct method but it seems to work for me.

1. On your NT Server (IP 192.168.0.7) install the RIP Client, which can be downloaded from this site.

2. Modify the hosts file on your Window 2000 Pro laptop, it should be located in C:\WINNT\System32\drivers\etc (or something similar). Add an entry for the NT Server. Your entry should look something like below..

--------------
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.0.7 <NT Server Name>
----------------

3. Once you have done this and connected via the VPN, you should be able to select 'Run..' and then type \\<NT Server Name> and you should connect.

I hope this helps,

David Parry
dparry

Postby dparry » Oct 23 03 2:16 pm

Also make sure that the default gateway for your NT Server (IP 192.168.0.7) is 192.168.0.3
dparry

Re: Problems Browsing Remote Network via Wingate VPN.

Postby Pascal » Oct 24 03 6:56 am

leedaniels wrote:Dear All,

Local:
Windows 2000pro laptop running WingateVPN 1.0.10 connected to Internet via dialup 56k modem.

Lee Daniels

The first thing to do is to see if you can ping the remote end. (Internal address) If you do get a valid response, you know that the tunnel is up and active.

If it does not have an internal interface and if you only have the dialup modem MS Networking is not enabled and active by default. This means it will not respond to any name lookups, broadcasts, etc.

You need to explicitly enable it for the modem in that case. The Firewall will still protect you against unauthorised access to the machine.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN