IP Address Conflict

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

IP Address Conflict

Postby dlcole » Feb 02 08 2:46 am

Trying to setup the VPN for a couple of our users who travel quite a bit. I have it set but have run into a problem and don't know what to do to get around it.

At some hotels, the users homes, and our clients the private IP addresses used conflict with the private addresses we are using internally. When that happens the user is unable to access the server.

Since I'm unable to change the IPs at these locations, and have no way of setting my internal IPs to something I know will be clear, is there any settings that I can use to get around this problem?

Thanks in advance,
David Cole
David L. Cole
Systems Manager
R.T. Patterson Co., Inc.
dlcole

Postby logan » Feb 07 08 9:07 pm

The best thing you can do is set your office to a less common IP range.

For example, it's very unlikely that the networks your joiners connect from will be on an IP range between 192.168.100.x and 192.168.200.x so setting your office on this range will almost completly prevent these IP conflicts from happening.

The ip ranges, 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x., 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x are all extremely common IP ranges (usually default ranges) that will be found in alot of networks all over the world. Avoid using these IP ranges if possible.
logan
Qbik Staff

Postby dlcole » Feb 08 08 2:26 am

That's what I was afraid of, Thanks!
David L. Cole
Systems Manager
R.T. Patterson Co., Inc.
dlcole

Return to WinGate VPN