can no access computer in my network places

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

can no access computer in my network places

Postby wp-fx » Oct 08 04 7:58 am

i can connect from the client to the host no problem. I can see the computer on the host that i want to mapp drives from, but when i click on it it says path not found.

i can ping the ip address of each computer from each machine.

The ip address of the host is 192.168.1.103
the ip address of the client is 128.168.2.100

please advise.

I have opened the port 809 and have pointed it to the 192.168.1.103 on the host

i have also opened the port 809 and pointed it to 128.168.2.100 on the client

please advise, thank you in advance
ks
wp-fx

Postby Pascal » Oct 08 04 9:29 am

Can you ping the remote computer and get a response back? If you can, that means the tunnel is established. From your description that sounds like it is happening; however, I suspect your problem might be related to the MTU.

Look at the VPN Setup Guide (http://www.wingate.com/files/VPN_Setup_Guide.pdf) for more information on testing for MTU problems and how to resolve it.

I've pasted the basic text in below, but there are many more diagnostic you can run. If this does turn out to be the case, there are several tools you can use to adjust the MTU - if you're using version 6.0 of WinGate or 2.0 of WinGate VPN you can adjust it in GateKeeper. Alternatively, http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp, has a tool that will do it too.

VPN Setup Guide wrote:On some types of connection, there is a reduction in the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit, which is a measure of the largest packet payload that may be sent over a network interface or point to point link). For instance PPPoE connections reduce the MTU by 8 bytes. The standard MTU for Ethernet is 1500 bytes, which means you can have up to 1500 bytes of payload over Ethernet. The Ethernet frame itself has a 14-byte header, so the actual maximum packet size (as opposed to the MTU) is 1514. WinGate VPN reduces the MTU as well, since the encryption and tunnelling require approx 50 - 60 bytes per packet.

If there are MTU issues, you can find that large (maximum size) packets can be lost. This produces strange effects such as:
Able to connect to a network share, prompted for a password, etc. but unable to browse large directories or transfer files.
Network drive mappings are disconnected and are generally unreliable.
Using Ping, you can send packets of different sizes. WinGate VPN fragments packets (if allowed) when it transfers them across the VPN. Therefore you should be able to send large ping packets successfully across the VPN if everything is working properly. If not, then once you get to a certain size, they will stop working.
To send a packet of a certain size, use the -l switch on the ping command. e.g.

ping 192.168.1.1 -l 1422

This will send a ping packet with a 1422 byte ICMP payload. It is important to note that the actual packet size of the ping packet is 28 bytes larger than this since the IP plus ICMP headers use 26 bytes. Therefore the example above will send a packet of 1450 bytes (not including the Ethernet header). The Ethernet header is not counted because this is stripped off and not transmitted over the VPN.
By working out the ping size that works vs the size that doesn't you can calculate what the effective MTU really is. For dialup connections and some network interfaces, it is then possible to modify the MTU so that your client machines will no longer send packets that are too big.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Postby wp-fx » Oct 09 04 1:10 am

i am using wingate vpn the latest version on both ends

i am able to ping no problem both ways i am also able to ping both ways using the -l 1422 packets

in the set up guide it does not describe how to modify the mtu

by the way the vpn was working a first a few days ago, i went to bed and when i woke up it was disconnected and hasn't worked since. One thing i did discover was that the ip address on the server switched. When i changed the port 809 in the router to the new ip i was able to establish a connection but unable to view the network shares from the client on the server

please help
wp-fx

Postby wp-fx » Oct 09 04 3:58 am

i did that test on the site you recommended here is a link to the results

http://ttester.broadbandreports.com/twe ... via=normal
wp-fx

Postby Pascal » Oct 09 04 12:44 pm

Ah, did you change the entry in the router for TCP and UDP ? If you didn't for UDP, you need to do that as well. Although, if you can ping that's probably not going to be the problem. Were you pinging the internal or external ip address of the host? It should be the internal IP when doing tunnel tests.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN