VPN connecting but not allowing access to server files

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

VPN connecting but not allowing access to server files

Postby Allan » Oct 29 03 4:38 pm

I am trying to establish a VPN link between my home machine (XP Pro - ADSL, DHCP address) and my office server (win2K, ADSL, Locked IP address).

Both machines are set-up to be the member of a common workgroup (not using domains).
Both machines are using WinGate 5.0.7 / VPN 5.0.7 (I will upgrade soon - I promise)
Both machines have the client for Microsoft file and print sharing enabled.
RIPclient installed on my home machine.

I am able to connect from my home PC to the office server using the VPN.
I am able to expand the Micorsoft Network and see all the PC on the remote network.
I am able to ping all available PCs on the office network.

BUT I can not browse for available directories.

I can't map a network drive of a resource that is available to all users in the workgroup.

Error: Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource..... THe list of server for this workgroup in not currently available.

Any suggestions
Allan

Postby Allan » Oct 31 03 1:31 am

Looks like nobody has any suggestion yet. Still can't browse the files on my server.
Looking through the log files I noticed something unual (unexpected)

VPN Debug: Tunnel 5 (Node local network of XXXX) atteched to route 192.168.100.1 255.255.255.255
(This is the address given to me by my DSL modem/gateway)

VPN Tunnels: tunnel to node local network of XXX (170.100.38.38:809) with ID 5 active and updated
(I am assuming this is some address my provider is using)

VPN connection: Local network of XXX has joined YYY

VPN Debug: Tunnel 5 has changed it's port from 809 to 61222
(Is it suppose to do this??)

VPN Tunnel: (ID:5) port for local network of XXX changed from 170.100.38.38:809 to 170.100.38.38:61222

Does this sequence seem correct??
Allan

Postby marconotsopolo » Oct 31 03 10:01 am

Allan

Error Message: The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

Solution: Make sure that the Computer Browser service is running on at least one Windows computer on the network:

From your PC, click START | RUN, type in \\IPADDRESS of one of the PC's you wish to connect to and click OK.. does this ask you for a username and password, if so, use a username and password associated with that (remote) PC..

Give that a go, if this works then add the remote PC's to your hosts file and make sure that at least one PC has been set as the browse master.

In XP/2000 you can check by doing the following

Right click My Computer, and click Manage.
Double click Services and Applications.
Double click Services.
Double click Computer Browser. If the Service status is Stopped, click Start.
Set the Startup type to Automatic.

Only set this on one PC..

Good Luck
Mark
Where did you say the "AnyKey" was?.
marconotsopolo

Postby lreyes » Feb 11 04 7:52 am

Are you using PPPoE for your ADSL? If so, perhaps this reply which I posted to another topic might help, as PPPoE behave more or less like dial-up:
----
I had the same problem when trying to join my VPN by dial-up, and spent many hours trying to resolve it until I tried joining from the college LAN and it worked at once. I realized that the problem was that in WinXP NetBios over TCP/IP is disabled by default for dial-up connections. You need to enable it under advanced options of the TCP/IP properties for your dial-up connection. You also need to enable the Client for MS networks.
---- end of quote

Also, for ethernet connections, Net_Bios over TCP/IP is by default enabled/disabled automatically by the DHCP server; you might want to try enabling it (it could be that the DHCP disables it?) in the TCP/IP properties.
lreyes

Return to WinGate VPN