Long boot time after install of WGVPN 1.0.10? Some tips

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Long boot time after install of WGVPN 1.0.10? Some tips

Postby ross » Oct 29 03 11:41 pm

Here is some info we had from one of our customers that may help someone in the future (although it's not specifically a WinGateVPN problem):-

--------------------------
I said I would let you know if I managed to resolve this long boot time of a Windows Home XP SP1a since Wingate VPN was installed.

Coincident with the installation of Wingate VPN 1.0.10 on Windows XP would hang for 90 seconds with a blank screen (no mouse) immediately following the initial Windows XP VGA startup screen. Otherwise it would then continue to boot and seemed to work correctly.

The only error reported in the Windows XP event log during startup was the built in IPsec service claiming it couldn't bind to all network interfaces. I disabled the Windows IPsec service, tried un-installing Wingate VPN plus all combinations of Windows XP firewall or Wingate VPN firewall plus enabling / disabling the unsed 10/100 Base T Ethernet interface. Having exhausted all possibilities including Windows update with no apparent effect on this XP long boot time I was forced to search the Internet more generally, only to find loads of people experiencing long boot times with Windows XP.

I found and used a ex Microsoft Windows XP utility "bootvis.exe" to record the whole Windows XP boot progress and times. Using this utility it immediately shown a 92.92 sec activity right near the start which was obviously different to everything else and matched the long blank screen period we were seeing at XP boot time. The culprit was the driver "USBSTOR.SYS" and was related to a problem Windows XP was having with a PCMICA / compact flash reader on a Epson 915 Photo Stylus printer. There had been a yellow mark along side the "Epson Mass Storage USB" device since the printer was installed some months ago. Anyway disabling this "Epson Mass Storage USB" device and rebooting immediately solved the boot time problem.

So the puzzle is why this problem with the "Epson Mass Storage USB" device on the Epson 915 Photo Stylus which hasn't been working since the printer was installed some months ago suddenly became a major annoyance, coincident with the installation of Wingate VPN 1.0.11. It is either due to a coincident windows update or the fact that Wingate VPN 1.0.10 adjusts some device timeouts on Windows XP?

So if anyone else experiences a similar problem I can recommend they seek out "bootvis.exe" though as I mentioned Microsoft have removed it from their web site, saying it is only for device driver developers?

Otherwise the Wingate VPN 1.0.10 is working correctly and connecting to their Wingate Pro server handing a ADSL line in their office.
--------------------
ross

Postby fersony » Oct 30 03 2:50 am

Good.
I have a great doubt.
Wingate in his completes version- 5.09- and as with his it completes VPN version supports to IPSEC?????
NAVARRO H. FERNANDO
SECTOR TECNICO
LABSYS INGENIERIA INFORMATICA
fersony

Return to WinGate VPN