Panes missing in Control Panel, route table, icon, problems

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Panes missing in Control Panel, route table, icon, problems

Postby Ian » Oct 30 03 8:53 pm

I am having a second go to get this thing going. If it actually works, it will solve a big problem.

The latest snag is that the VPN's hosted, VPN's to join and the Miscellaneous panes have disappeared out of the Control Panel window in gatekeeper on my remote. The Remotely Accessible Networks (VPN) pane has dissappeared out of the Network Tab panel.

I am on day 3 of my renewed attempt to get it to work. The Deerfield lack of support stopped the last try.

This event was preceeded with a message which said It had detected a new network adapter.

I presume this event was initiated by my experimenting with the TCP/IP properties on the Ethernet NIC in the remote machine, which is being run as a stand alone remote.

It had previously connected (once) and the remote seemed to behave in all respects as advertised. To get it to work that time, I had gone into Winipcfg and issued a Release command to the IP configuration data attached to the Ethernet NIC, which seemed to be still there from its last plug into a network. (Might be a bug problem here, it still had its DHCP assigned IP stuff in the Route table, which was causing conflicts. The remote route table had two 0.0.0.0 entries with the vpn one having a metric of 2 and the old NIC one having a metric of 1. The Release got rid of all the old NIC stuff and it worked.)

Now, in addition to the above problems, I suspect that the RipV2 listener incorporated in the server is not functioning, but I can't test as the remote has gone belly up with its control panel and Network panel missing panes. The one succesful connection did allow the remote to access another client on the server's network which had the ripv2 software installed. It was unable to browse or access the files on the server. Everything pinged just fine. It was possible to access the remote by use run \\remote. The remote showed as testing... in the servers remote network window. In VPN Configuration General I have checked the three RIPV2 check boxes. The server route table did not have an entry for the remote IP number.

I am also seeing strange behaviour in how the Server Network panel adds machines on the network to the list of those available. It waits until they are rebooted. They do not appear of their own accord. Once on, they never disappear, even if the machine has dissappeared. When I attempted to install the server on an XP machine, this behaviour did not occur, all network machines appeared normally. I aborted the use of the XP machine after the icon failed to appear in the system tray on two different xp machines.

Setup is Server, Win98, static IP 192.168.2.202, gateway SMC 7004ABR ADSL router Static IP 192.168.2.1 also provides network DHCP, Network Client Win XP SP 1 DHCP assigned IP 192.168.2.29 DHCP with RipV2 listener installed. Remote using a dialup Win98 machine.

Both machines set up to allow Local Participation, Local Network.
Ian

Return to WinGate VPN