WINGATE VPN - Win2K Server WAN

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

WINGATE VPN - Win2K Server WAN

Postby andyg » Apr 16 05 9:33 am

Hi .. I am thinking of purchasing and was wondering if Wingate VPN would work with 2 LANS. They both have domain controllers, one is win2k server and the other Win2003 Server. I want both ends of the WAN to view all shares. There are about 50 users all told.

We DONT run WINGATE Proxy Server but just use the router as the default gateway for browsing. Will Wingate VPN support this scenario and is there any online documentation.
Thanks for your help ...
andyg

Postby genie » Apr 16 05 4:06 pm

Yes, Wingate VPN will happily handle this setup. However, your best bet would be to download and install Wingate on both sides - the trial version is free and gives 30 days of unrestricted functionality.
genie
Qbik Staff

Hangs on viewing remote share

Postby andyg » May 07 05 6:22 am

Ive Installed it and got it working to certain point. Ive run the RIPClient on both ends of the net, I can see the domain and shares therein on the remote server from explore (XP PRO SP1). BUT when I click on the share to see the files in it, my XP expoloer hangs in a big way. This happen every time.

I will add Im looking for a reliable VPN product that will not upset my generally idot users !!!

Can you help ?
andyg

Postby genie » May 07 05 11:20 am

Can you ping the machine behind Wingate vpn server? Also, when you said that the explorer hung, was it just a long timeout? What kind of connection are you using?
genie
Qbik Staff

browse hang

Postby andyg » May 09 05 5:27 am

Hi . I can ping the server IP address but nothing behind it. The connection is broadband, but using 11mg wireless. Maximum MTU is aroung 1400.Yeah it seems to be a very long time -out and it looks like its not responding but eventually comes alive. Its takes about 3 minutes. I then get a message saying the share is not accesable, perrmissions etc. Ive logged on as system administrator.

PORT 809 is forwarded onto the VPN server '192.168.1.10'. Ive not allowed any browsing past that IP.
andyg

Postby andyg » May 09 05 5:31 am

by the way. The same thing happens browsing from the host
andyg

Postby genie » May 09 05 10:18 am

Then most probably it's a routing issue - do the clients behind VPN server have their default routes through Wingate? Alternatevely, you can setup a RIP client on the client machine to accept routes delivered through VPN.
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby andyg » May 14 05 5:49 am

Not sure what you mean regarding default routes through wingate. I have the rip client running at both ends. Do i neeed to add staic routes on the client ? How do I "setup a RIP client on the client machine to accept routes delivered through VPN."?

Here is an overview.

Client network = 192.168.0.0
Host network = 192.168.1.0 (Wingate running on W2003 Server)

Your RIPClient is running both ends
andyg

Postby genie » May 14 05 9:51 pm

I assume you cannot ping VPN server machine from the joiner machine - is that correct? When you said that you forwarded port 809 to the VPN server, did you also forward UDP port 809 there? Wingate VPN uses TCP traffic for control chanel and UDP traffic for data transfer.
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby Pascal » May 18 05 10:55 am

Did you install the RIP client on the client computers? (Machines behind the VPN Endpoints) Or on the VPN Endpoints? The RIP client should be on the LAN machines behind the VPN Endpoints. Installing the RIP client on the VPN Endpoints (Server/Client) is redundant and likely to cause problems.
Pascal

Qbik New Zealand
pascalv@qbik.com
http://www.qbik.com
Pascal
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN