Client Software Install

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Client Software Install

Postby brucejon » May 10 05 5:02 am

I installed client software, I think that I did, I don't see anything to configer, I would think that thier would be a window after I run the client software, What may I be doing wrong, Maybe I did not install it the rite way, Tryed it on windows 98 and windows XP
brucejon

Postby jamesc » May 10 05 3:41 pm

Creating a VPN with WinGate VPN Only software.

First we install the WinGate VPN software on the host and joiner then restart computer as prompted.

1. Once restarted we add in the trial license.
(Windows) Start menu --> Programs --> WinGate VPN --> License Management

Select Add new
Next, Next etc.. Close.

If you have a firewall/router, please forward TCP/UDP port 809 to the WinGate VPN Hosts ip address. To test it has been forwarded correctly, please look at the trouble shoot section below.

2. Set Up the WinGate VPN Host (The side of the VPN that does Authentication)

Below Miscellaneous label, double click VPN
In the VPN Configuration dialogue, select VPNs to Host
Click Add

In the VPNs to Host dialogue, set up name, description, and Local Participation
Click the Generate button

In the Certificate dialogue, click the Generate button at the bottom left.
In the Details of Certificate dialogue, Fill in the appropriate details, and click the Next, then Finish buttons

Select from the drop down list, the certificate you just created (you may need ot wait 30 secondss for certificate to appear)
Select the Policies tab

Click the Add button
In the Properties for new recipient dialogue, select the users who are allowed to connect in
Click the OK button
In the VPNs to Host dialogue, click the OK button as well

Select the WinGate VPN Host you just created, and click the Export Config button
In the Set the Location for this VPN dialogue, place in your "Public" IP address or domain name, if you are not sure what it is, open up Internet Explorer, and go to http://www.whatismyip.com
Click the OK button
In the VPN Configuration dialogue, click the OK button

Save the file to a location which is easily accessible for later; you may require to email it to a colleague, or save to a disk to take home.

3. Setup the WinGate VPN Joiner

Below Miscellaneous label, double click VPN
In the VPN Configuration dialogue, select VPNs to Join
Click the Import Config button
In the Open dialogue box, select the file that was exported from the VPN host
Click the Open button

In the VPNs to Join dialogue, enter your username and password. If you are joining a domain, add that in too
Click the OK button

In GateKeeper, right click the new Joiner you made and click Connect

Troubleshoot:

a) If the remote clients (Joiners) are unable to connect, there is usually a firewall issue on the server. Get the clients to open a command prompt and test via telnet whether the ports are opened correctly.

(windows) Start menu --> Run --> cmd --> telnet -->
open vpn.myserver.com 809

If the Windows goes blank, or say "Press any key" then you have connectivity to that port.
If you get the error message: Connecting To vpn.myserver.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 809: Connect failed
... Then there most probably is a firewall blocking the port.

There is a great guide available on the internet for WinGateVPNs port forwarding to be set up on most common routers/modems, it can be found here: http://www.portforward.com/english/appl ... Nindex.htm

b) If you are using Windows XP Service Pack 2, please make sure the Firewall is disabled.

Right click "My Computer" on Desktop
Manage
Services and Applications
Services
Scroll down to the bottom of list
Double click "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)"
Change the "Startup type" to disabled
Click the Stop button.

c) If you get a message stating you have conflicts, then check that each network is on a different subnet. For example, if the Host network is using the IP Address schema:
192.168.0.x / 255.255.255.0
Then the other network joining in requires to be on a different subnet.
e.g 192.168.1.x / 255.255.255.0
Next network that can be joined will be
192.168.2.x / 255.255.255.0 or another private IP address range on a differnet subnet.

d) If you have any type of security suite / firewall, please disable it from starting with your computer for the sake of testing. E.g Norton Internet Security, Zone Labs, McAffee etc.... WinGate VPN has a firewall to protecty you while testing.

e) If you are unable to access computers behind the WinGate Host, or Joiner, then those computers must either:
1) Have the Wingate VPN server set as their default gateway
2) Make a route for it
3) Load the Qbik RIP2 Utility on each client machine (but not on the Wingate Joiner or Host). The RIP utility can be downloaded from here: http://www334.pair.com/qbiknz/downloads/ripv2client.zip

f) If you can access shares, but cannot work with the files / large folders, there may be an MTU issue caused by a router somewhere on the internet.
Please have a look at this post: http://forums.qbik.com/viewtopic.php?p=17505#17505

Ask if you require more assistance.
Last edited by jamesc on Sep 28 05 3:48 pm, edited 7 times in total.
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby garyoNC » Aug 04 05 5:44 am

This is the same problem I am having
garyoNC

Postby jamesc » Sep 23 05 10:17 pm

*bump*
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN