Licensing or Configuration issue?

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Licensing or Configuration issue?

Postby mphlarry » Jul 19 05 5:10 am

Hi, I have set up a successful vpn connection. The server is a Wingate server with a vpn 3 user lan license on it. The client is a Wingate VPN program with a single user license. I connect to the VPN server and the browsable network shows the server and 3 computers as being accessible. The rest show up as not accessible. I only need to access 3 specific machines on the network and those are unfortunately not the ones it allows access to. How do I tell it which 3 machines to let me connect to?

Thanks.
mphlarry

Postby MattP » Jul 19 05 10:13 am

Hi,

You will have access to all of the machines with your 3 user license, however you will only be able to access 2 machines behind the WinGate VPN server simultaneously. All of the machines should show up as accessible, if they do not it sounds like they don't have their default gateways pointing at the VPN server.

If you can't set the default gateways to point at the VPN server then you should install the RIPv2 client on the client machines (but never on the WinGate server). This will allow the client machines to learn a route to the VPN.
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby mphlarry » Jul 23 05 2:16 am

I just have a follow up question. Why does Wingate VPN require such things when any other vpn allows you to ping anything on the subnet that is a part of. With, Microsoft's RRAS server or SnapGear's PPTP server, for example, once I get connected I can ping anything and access anything on the network. The device I am actually trying to connect to is not a computer at all. It is an HVAC controller device that is not running Windows. I am scheduling a trip out to the site to actually set the gateway to the wingate machine but still have my doubts this will make any difference. All of the other machines already have the wingate machine set as the gateway since it is the thing that connects the entire place to the internet. Yet many of those show up as not accessible as well.
mphlarry

Postby genie » Jul 23 05 2:42 am

This is not Wingate requirement - it's just the way TCP/IP routing works.
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby mphlarry » Jul 23 05 2:46 am

just seems interesting that other vpn products don't seem to display this behavior
mphlarry

Return to WinGate VPN