VPN seems OK, but cant browse files

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

VPN seems OK, but cant browse files

Postby alexortiz2 » Jul 24 05 7:22 am

Hi,

I already installed and configured WinGate VPN, server stand-alone at public IP, and client at a private network (192.168.x.x) with internet gateway.

I connect VPN both sides OK, but can't browse the VPN server from client at "Remote Network (VPN)" panel, inside "Microsoft Windows Network". The plus sign doesn't appear, neither "Explore" option when right-clicking.

The problem is strange, because even at server side I can't browe itself within that same panel and same options as above.

I think the problem isn't the VPN itself, but something at server.

I tried out adding a "VPN host" at client side, then I can browse itself the way I want to at server side. WHY !!!???. I already checked XP permissions and think are OK.

The PCs are identical hardware and Windows XP SP2 both.

I'll appreciate any help or idea.

Regards,
Alex Ortiz.
alexortiz2

Postby jamesc » Jul 26 05 5:58 pm

I already installed and configured WinGate VPN, server stand-alone at public IP, and client at a private network (192.168.x.x) with internet gateway.

1. Does your WinGate Host (server) have an internal IP Address as well? What is it?

I connect VPN both sides OK, but can't browse the VPN server from client at "Remote Network (VPN)" panel, inside "Microsoft Windows Network". The plus sign doesn't appear, neither "Explore" option when right-clicking.

2. Do you have a Security Suite "installed" on the WinGate host? like Norton IS, McAfee, or some other firewall program
3. Have you enable "NetBIOS over TCP" on the servers external network card?
4. Can you access the server via a UNC path? e.g \\192.168.1.x
5. How is the local participation set on the WinGate Host (Server), as shown in the image below

jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby alexortiz » Jul 27 05 5:06 am

Thanks for your help, jamesc.
Following I answer the questions...

Quote:

1. Does your WinGate Host (server) have an internal IP Address as well? What is it?
[b]A = I tried wit private address 192.168.1.73 (within my LAN), and then at an public address 148.x.x.x (edited by qbik staff) (out of the LAN).[/b]

Quote:

2. Do you have a Security Suite "installed" on the WinGate host? like Norton IS, McAfee, or some other firewall program
[b]A = I disabled the Windows XP Firewall, but have CA-InoculateIT antivirus.[/b]

3. Have you enable "NetBIOS over TCP" on the servers external network card?
[b]A = Yes, I did. [/b]

4. Can you access the server via a UNC path? e.g \\192.168.1.x
[b]A = No, I don't. Windows says "Can't find \\192.168.1.x".[/b]

5. How is the local participation set on the WinGate Host (Server), as shown in the image below
[b]A = I tried all of them, but I prefer "Local machine only".[/b]

[b]ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:[/b]
Let me tell you I continue testing, and discovered the following:
1. If configure my network card as public IP address (fixed address, no DHCP), can't browse my own shares at "Local Network" from "Network" tab, but if change to local network IP address (with DHCP from a server), I successfully can browse my own shares.
2. This situation occurs even if no VPN (host or join) were added. I did this test because I think I must see my shares locally at the GateKeeper, even with no VPNs. If I can see them locally, then I will see them remotelly.

Thanks again for your help. If works, this software could be an excellent solution for my company requirements.

Regards,
Alex Ortiz.
alexortiz

Postby jamesc » Jul 28 05 5:37 pm

Do you have CA-InoculateIT antivirus running on both computers? Joiner and Host?
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby alexortiz » Jul 29 05 7:45 am

Yes, I have CA-InoculateIT antivirus running on both computers.

I observed that sometimes, when the client tries to join to VPN host, appears the error message: "A VPN connection was attempted by a client (201.128.216.74) that does not support protocol version 1.6 connections. WinGate 6.0 or WinGate VPN 2.0 and later support protocol version 1.6 connections".

These week I have tried Fortinet/Forticlient too at same machines as WinGate and was surprised it worked perfectly!. I have regarded firewall, gateways, routes, participation, permissions, etc. issues, but Fortinet works and Wingate doesn't work.

I have tried almost everything, so I make the question (being respectful): Does it really works?, or are some special components needed?, or VPN's are as complex itself that need much test and tunning?. I read at forum you need to send some drivers to evaluators (like me), what cases?.

I need to give a solution to company and have one more week. I'd like rather the WinGate solution because is cheaper than Fortinet. I hope you can give me more specific guidance.

Thanks again for your help, and good day.

Regards,
Alex Ortiz
alexortiz

Postby jamesc » Aug 01 05 5:40 pm

Are you using the same program version on each side of the WinGate VPN?
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN