What is the limit of Host VPN's

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

What is the limit of Host VPN's

Postby Chuck Lumpkin » Aug 02 05 5:05 am

In configuring hosts, I have just run into a problem that may be the limit of Hosts on my license. When I get to the fourth Host, I can connect, but the node will only show workgroup name and not the host computer. All three of the other hosts are configured identical, so is my theory correct and how to we expand the number of host available on one server?

Suffering at the beach????
chuck
Chuck in Virginia
Chuck Lumpkin

Postby genie » Aug 02 05 11:59 am

Are you sure that there are not routing or gateway/firewall issues with this fourth host? What if you disconnect all other hosts and connect only to the fourth one?
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby Chuck Lumpkin » Aug 03 05 12:31 am

I thought of gateway issues, but thqt's not it. On the host machine, I can open the nodes and see all the shares on the host machine for the first three host VPN's, but on the fourth I can only see the workgroup level on the node tree. I have not tried to delete on of the others but will do so this morning while everyone else is sleeping.

chuck
Chuck in Virginia
Chuck Lumpkin

Deleted one of the three good Host VPN

Postby Chuck Lumpkin » Aug 03 05 12:58 am

I removed one of the good hosted VPN's (One where the Plus mark is next to the network node, shows the local workgroup, and the local host, and the file system) from the server. Added a new third and the node will only go down the tree as far as the workgroup. I then added a fourth Hosted VPN set up identical to the others, dbl clicked on the host name, saw the Microsoft Windows network node but no plus mark. I then removed the Hosted VPN I added as the third VPN, but still the tree stops at the Microsoft Windows network node. I stopped and restarted the VPN Engine, no help. I deleted the fourth, and still the third VPN will not show the plus mark next to the network node. Now I am in a pickle since on of my good host VPN no longer works. HELP!

chuck
Chuck in Virginia
Chuck Lumpkin

Postby genie » Aug 03 05 1:03 am

What version of Wingate are you using?
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby Chuck Lumpkin » Aug 03 05 1:11 am

I am using 6.0.4. How can I upgrade without losing all my ssl footprint settings?

chuck
Chuck in Virginia
Chuck Lumpkin

Postby genie » Aug 03 05 1:17 am

6.0.4 is currently the latest release and you don't have to upgrade (besides, every upgrade saves all the settings). Now, how is your VPN server connected to the internet and how are the joiners connected?
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby Chuck Lumpkin » Aug 03 05 1:42 am

We have a corporate network with a subnet of .21 and this server is 192.168.21.43 going out through a router with an address of 192.168.21.1. The router has all the holes for coming through, since we have or had three host vpn's running for a couple of months with no problem. The server is independent and only host the VPN and collects files from the joiners, who join only to transmit files. We have a host VPN named MacadoCorp. There are 14 locations that join this host one at a time. They are controlled from here using VNC to start and stop the remote VPN engines. We have found that we cannot have two remote VPN's join the same Host VPN for some reason. That brings us to the reason to have more than three host VPN's. We have MacadoCorp for the 14 stores, Yancey for our accounting group which are located about 100 miles away, Gargoylez which is our art manufacturing division which is located about 5 miles away and we were setting up PrivateNet for me to use from home and the management staff to use to move files and data from the server to their own machines. If you check, Matt set me up with the proper licenses and we have had no problem until yesterday when I tried to create a new host VPN and found (on the Server) that I do not get a PLUS Mark next to the Microsoft Windows Network node. I now have only two working VPN Hosts. This will be causing me some grief in about an hour when the accounting types try to log onto their data. Any ideas? Also, if you wish, and have VNC, you can log onto the test server at *********. I will set up a password = "***********".

chuck
Chuck in Virginia
Chuck Lumpkin

Postby Chuck Lumpkin » Aug 03 05 9:56 am

OK Parnell people: I solved the problem! It seems that when the Host VPN is added, it takes anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour before it finds the local server and places the nodes on the windows network. I got busy trying to do other things, went back about an hour later and the nodes were populated. Sorry about the fuss, but I did panic.

Am I correct that you cannot have more than one joiner to a host at any one time? Let me know if there is some other configuration that I have missed.
Thanks,
chuck
Chuck in Virginia
Chuck Lumpkin

Postby genie » Aug 03 05 11:52 am

No, this is not correct - we have customers running over 150 joiners and multiple outbound connections - in many case the problem with VPN is either routing or the way computers are connected to the internet (gateways block data channel traffic, for one). Having said that - we have the new driver which fixes problems for some people when it comes to the certain routers the use in front of Wingate servers - I can send this new driver to you for testing if you let me know what OSes you are using.
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby Chuck Lumpkin » Aug 04 05 1:37 am

Thanks for the reply. We are using WinXP with SP2 on all the machines in the remote areas. We use D-Link Routers connecting to a cable modem which provides the ISP. All of our connections are 1.5/500 connections. The main server in Roanoke Corporate office is running WinXP Pro with SP2 through a router to a DSL modem. We have several connections to the internet but the one that we use for VPN is a DSL line. This is used on an exclusive basis for a server named "TestServer". All the remote machines tunnel to this machine. We have had no problems with connections one at a time, but multiple connections have frozen the VPN or caused the connection to break or not connect. When we disconnect the connected remote joiner, all works fine. If you wish, I can email you the passwords and IP address so you or Matt can take a look at this. In the mean time let's try the driver. And by the way, why does it take up to an hour for a new VPN Host to populate the nodes?
Send the driver to chucklump@excite.com

chuck
Chuck in Virginia
Chuck Lumpkin

Return to WinGate VPN