Loaded the client software on two pc and cannot connect???

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Loaded the client software on two pc and cannot connect???

Postby garyoNC » Aug 04 05 3:38 am

I have loaded the Wingate VPN client software on two PCs at different locations but cannot connect. Both locations use a DSL service. On the login tab all I put in is the IP for the other PC and user login info and I should be able to login right? It uses the default port of 808.

What should I do next?
garyoNC

Postby garyoNC » Aug 04 05 3:45 am

We get a socket error, the request has timed out. Most of the help info with F1 deals with setting up and sharing an inter net connection. Not remote pc connection.
garyoNC

Postby garyoNC » Aug 04 05 4:30 am

I've also noticed that most all menu options are greyed out. So when I read the help system and it says to go here or there to check something, I cannot becasue it is greyed out.
garyoNC

Postby garyoNC » Aug 04 05 5:10 am

Looked at some online FAQs and they talked about going to the system tab in Gatekeeper to check out operation. We have no system tab. Neither pc and both installed the same way. Everything is greyed out, nothing is displayed on either pc. What is going on?
garyoNC

Postby jamesc » Aug 04 05 7:09 pm

Have you activated the trial license; as shown in this updated post:
http://forums.qbik.com/viewtopic.php?p=16108#16108
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby garyoNC » Aug 05 05 9:42 am

James,

Do you know how much time we wasted on this? There is nothing anywhere I could find that indicated that this is how to do this! You guys need to do a better job with documentation.
garyoNC

Postby garyoNC » Aug 05 05 10:02 am

The port is forwarded, but still nothing on WinGate. Everything is still all greyed out. Now what?
garyoNC

Postby jamesc » Aug 05 05 4:02 pm

If everything is greyed out, have you logged into GateKeeper with the correct credentials? GateKeeper is the program used to configure WinGate VPN.

The default login details for WinGate are:

Username: Administrator
Password:

Once logged in, you should expect to see this interface:

Can you see that?
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby MattP » Aug 05 05 5:29 pm

Hi Gary,

After reading through your posts it looks like there has been a bit of a misunderstanding. The VPN software that you've installed allows you to create a VPN to host, or to join an existing VPN, however the software must first be configured to allow you to host or join a VPN.

From the sounds of things you're putting the details of the remote machine into the login box of the local machine. This will cause you the problems that you've described.

The first thing that you need to do is log in to the local machine using the instructions that James has given you. Once you've logged in you can create a VPN to host at the host location.

When you have finished creating the VPN to host you can then export the configuration file and import it into the joining machine. Then you can connect to the remote server and get everything working.

If you want to test your VPN then you are welcome to connect to our test server, you can download the configuration file here, username: test, password: 1234.

To set up a VPN to host:

Double click VPN under the Miscellaneous menu (VPN tab in GateKeeper)
Click Add
Enter a name for your VPN
Click the Generate button by Certificate
Enter a name for your certficate and click the Generate button
The fields are optional, fill them if you need more security, click Next
Click Finish, click ok
Your certificate will not be visible, you will need to click the drop-down box by Certificate to select it
Choose your participation level, No Local Participation means that the host server will not be visible to the remote nodes, you should choose Local Machine only or Local Network depending on your requirements.
Select the policies tab and choose the appropriate user. We recommend creating a VPN user.
Click Ok.

You have now created a VPN to host. The next step is to export the VPN file to the remote (joiner) machine. Highlight the VPN that you've created and click the Export Config button. Fill in the public IP address or Fully Qualified Domain Name that a remote VPN node will use to connect to your server. You will be asked to save the config file, you can either save it to floppy, or just save it to your desktop and email it to the remote client.

To configure a joiner to connect to a VPN:

Either....
Double click the configuration file that you've received by email or floppy. You will be asked if you want to add the following VPN, click yes, you will see the VPN configuration screen. Enter the username and password of the VPN user that you created on the host server and choose your level of participation. Click ok.

Or...
Double click the VPN option on the miscellaneous menu
Click VPNs to join
Click Add
Enter the IP address
Enter the name of the remote VPN
Enter the SSL fingerprint, or deselect Fingerprint
Enter the usename and password of the VPN user configured on the host server
Choose your connection options
Click ok

On the network tab under Remote Networks you should now see the VPN listed, to join just right click and choose connect.

You should now be connected to the remote Host.
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby garyoNC » Aug 06 05 8:12 am

Okay, I will give it a try. Thanks all for being patient with me.
garyoNC

Return to WinGate VPN