connect is successful,but I cann't access server(web site)!

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

connect is successful,but I cann't access server(web site)!

Postby wlrjust » Nov 09 03 9:19 pm

I am trying to establish a VPN link between my home PC(W2K server,ADSL,DHCP address,netcard address is 192.168.0.1/24) and my office LAN's server (W2K server,1000MB Ethernet to telecom, server1 have private address 10.6.231.2/24 and map a public address 218.75.X.X,server2 only have private address 10.6.231.5/24),
I am able to connect from my home PC to the office server1 using wingate VPN 1.1.0
I am able to expand the microsoft network and see all the server on the office network in GateKeeper,and ping all PCs private address on the office network.
but ,I cann't browse server2 web site(this is server has a web site based java ) in IE.
why?
JUST DO IT
wlrjust

Postby adrien » Nov 10 03 9:24 pm

If you can ping the machines on the VPN but not browse to them, that means you aren't able to communicate with the machine on the office network that won the last browser election.

Browser elections mean that nearly any machine can end up being the master browser, which your clients must be able to connect to in order to use network browsing.

There are ways to force a machine to become a master browser, you need to look in msdn.microsoft.com for methods to do this (or perhaps google would be a better bet)...

Or are you uinsg Active directory?

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Thanks ,but......

Postby wlrjust » Nov 10 03 10:00 pm

Thanks your answer,but I don't realy understand your explain, what is "force a machine to become a master browser" what I to do?
In addition,now I can browse my home PC's web site from office LAN.
Wait for your explain,thanks a lot !
JUST DO IT
wlrjust

Postby adrien » Nov 11 03 2:32 pm

Sorry - I thought you meant network neighbourhood browsing, rather than accessing your web server.

can you ping the web server 10.6.231.5?

If so, try using telnet to connect to 10.6.231.5 on port 80 (command line "telnet 10.6.231.5 80")

if you get a connection (screen goes blank rather than error message saying connection failed), then browsing should work, but IE does some strange and stupid things if it thinks it can't access a site...

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby wlrjust » Nov 12 03 1:18 am

I am able to ping 10.6.231.5,when telnet to 10.6.231.5:8080(port 8080 is java application port),I see error message saying connection failed,but I can access web site pass public address(public address is temporary map with 10.6.231.5,for security reason,this is not allow).
Can you tell me further explain? thanks!
JUST DO IT
wlrjust

Return to WinGate VPN