computer not accessible

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

computer not accessible

Postby computerwizards » Aug 18 05 10:37 am

Hi,

I've got the vpn software setup. However the computer I'm trying to connect to is inaccessible.

SSL authentication seems to go well, logs in, shows the computer but says it is not accessible.

port 809 open on both sides
firewalls disabled.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Jeff
computerwizards

Postby MattP » Aug 18 05 11:29 am

Hi Jeff,

You'll usually see a not accessible error with a routing problem, or if you have a firewall blocking connections.

Please make sure that the IP subnet that you're using at each end of the VPN is different, ie the host server may have an address of 192.168.0.1, so the remote location should have an address of 192.168.1.1.

If you're running XP with SP2 check to make sure that the XP firewall is disabled, the only sure-fire way to do this is from the services applet, look for Windows firewall and internet connection sharing and disable and stop the service.

Are you behind a NAT firewall at either end of the VPN? If you expand the Published routes in the network tab of GateKeeper you'll see "behind NAT translated firewall" if you are, in that case you should probably try our new driver. If you let me know what OS you're running I can email it to you.
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby computerwizards » Aug 19 05 2:43 am

Hi, the gateway server is running xp pro. Firewalls have been disabled but I'll look again. The current remote pc is running windows 2000. Others will have xp pro later.

They are runnign different IP addresses.

Both sides are behind a NAT. So drivers for xp pro and win 2k would be appreaciated.

Thanks

Jeff at computerwizards dot ca

MattP wrote:Hi Jeff,

You'll usually see a not accessible error with a routing problem, or if you have a firewall blocking connections.

Please make sure that the IP subnet that you're using at each end of the VPN is different, ie the host server may have an address of 192.168.0.1, so the remote location should have an address of 192.168.1.1.

If you're running XP with SP2 check to make sure that the XP firewall is disabled, the only sure-fire way to do this is from the services applet, look for Windows firewall and internet connection sharing and disable and stop the service.

Are you behind a NAT firewall at either end of the VPN? If you expand the Published routes in the network tab of GateKeeper you'll see "behind NAT translated firewall" if you are, in that case you should probably try our new driver. If you let me know what OS you're running I can email it to you.
computerwizards

Postby MattP » Aug 19 05 10:57 am

Hi Jeff,

I've emailed you the drivers, you should have them by now.

Matt
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby evo_182 » Aug 21 05 4:15 am

Hello

I have just posted new post and i reakon i may need that new drive cos it looks like a behind nat if u could email the driver to dan@the-kitchen.co.uk

I will definatly buy the software cos i really like it just need it working perfectly before i purchase it :)

Thanks

Dan
evo_182

Postby genie » Aug 21 05 9:08 pm

The new driver has been sent to you.
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby genie » Aug 21 05 9:12 pm

Sorry, Dan - just got an error message from you mail server - do you have other e-mail address I can send this driver to?
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby evo_182 » Aug 22 05 5:38 am

yep , sorry

it is dan@the-kitchens.co.uk

i forgot the s

Thanks

Dan
evo_182

Postby genie » Aug 22 05 11:56 am

The driver is on the way.
genie
Qbik Staff

Postby evo_182 » Aug 22 05 9:01 pm

Thank Your

soooo much

I will see what happens and gets back 2 you

Thanks

Dan
evo_182

Postby computerwizards » Aug 23 05 1:42 am

Mine is still saying the server is inaccessible.....any further ideas?
computerwizards

Postby jamesc » Aug 23 05 9:52 pm

Hi computerwizards,

1. So have you installed the driver on both ends? The joiner and the Host?
2. a) The computer that is showing itself as "Not Accessible", is that behind the WinGate Host / Joiner?
b) If it is, does it have either the default gateway pointing to the VPN server, or is it running the Qbik Rip utility? ( http://www334.pair.com/qbiknz/downloads/ripv2client.zip )
3. Can you access the Not Accessible computer by using its UNC Path? E.g. If the computer that is displaying Not Accessible has the IP address of 192.168.0.3 (Which can be usually found out by right clicking the "Not Accessible" computer inside GateKeeper and selecting Properties) then you do the following:
(Windows) Start menu --> Run --> \\192.168.0.3
4. a)When you said on the 19th Aug "They are running different IP addresses. ", do you mean different subnets, or different IP addresses?
b) What are the addresses?
5. When you said on the 19th Aug "the gateway server is running xp pro. Firewalls have been disabled but I'll look again. The current remote pc is running windows 2000. Others will have xp pro later. ", can you confirm if they have firewalls or security suites installed?
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby bugman » Sep 21 05 12:03 pm

Hi colleguas!
I've got the same problems with WinGate VPN. Can you send me those "new drivers" you were talking before for XP SP2/SP1.
Thanks beforehand.
Nothing is impossible. All you need is time
bugman

Postby jamesc » Sep 21 05 3:10 pm

Sent.

Please let the forum know if you need more assistance
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby Simpor » Sep 22 05 1:01 am

I'm having the same problem... And I want to try the ripv2client.. but the link is broken.. Can you please post a new link or send me an email with the file.

[edit]

I have found the Ripv2Client on the downloadpage for VPN. I installed it as a service but still the same problem. I can login but all the computers in the company network is showing up as not accesible.
I'm running winxp with sp2 installed. Latest version of wingate-vpn. Downloaded just a few days ago.
Windows firewall service is stopped. I have disabled the wingate firewall since I'm running sygate firewall. I have opened up port 809 for wingate, and I have even tried with the firewall shutdowned. But with the same result all the time.
The Wingate vpn is working since we have atleast 3 other computers that uses the vpn regulary.
I have a direct connection to the internet from my computer, not using any router or something like that. I have a laptop that can connect fine, but need to install in on my stationary pc.
Don't have these new drivers so if anyone can send them to me that would be great.

/Simon Rydberg

jamesc wrote:Hi computerwizards,

1. So have you installed the driver on both ends? The joiner and the Host?
2. a) The computer that is showing itself as "Not Accessible", is that behind the WinGate Host / Joiner?
b) If it is, does it have either the default gateway pointing to the VPN server, or is it running the Qbik Rip utility? ( http://www334.pair.com/qbiknz/downloads/ripv2client.zip )
3. Can you access the Not Accessible computer by using its UNC Path? E.g. If the computer that is displaying Not Accessible has the IP address of 192.168.0.3 (Which can be usually found out by right clicking the "Not Accessible" computer inside GateKeeper and selecting Properties) then you do the following:
(Windows) Start menu --> Run --> \\192.168.0.3
4. a)When you said on the 19th Aug "They are running different IP addresses. ", do you mean different subnets, or different IP addresses?
b) What are the addresses?
5. When you said on the 19th Aug "the gateway server is running xp pro. Firewalls have been disabled but I'll look again. The current remote pc is running windows 2000. Others will have xp pro later. ", can you confirm if they have firewalls or security suites installed?
Last edited by Simpor on Sep 22 05 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Simpor

Postby bugman » Sep 22 05 1:15 am

Oh guys from techsupp! Thank you so much!
Everything is working after installing RipClient on every machine in network on both sides of VPN tunnel and updating driver.
But a little problem left: I can access every PC in remote network by IP, but WinGate Manager still shows me, that they are "not accessable". But they are! It is not fatal, but makes little discomfort for users. How can I fix it?
bugman

Postby bugman » Sep 22 05 7:07 am

Here is the scheme of connecting 2 networks over internet with using WinGate VPN. PC4 successfully connects to IP a.b.c.d, router transmit incoming traffic on UDP/TCP 809 to local machine (port mapping) .... blah-blah-blah.... finnaly connection is establishing.

The problem is:
When connection is established, PC1-PC3 can ping PC4-PC6, but only PC1 can access to services of only PC4 (WEB, RemoteDesctop, Telnet, Ftp, File Sharing).
From other side of VPN connection, PC4-PC6 can ping PC1-PC3, but only PC4 can access to all the resources of PC1-PC3 (RemoteDesktop, File Sharing, WEB server)

What is needed:
Every PC must access to all services of other PCs

Notices:
As it can be seen from picture - PC1 and PC4 with WinGate VPN installed are not the default gateways in their networks - so i've installed Rip2Client on every PC in network (even on PC1 and PC4). Drivers on PC1 and PC4 are updated. All firewalls are turned off.
bugman

Postby jamesc » Sep 22 05 3:15 pm

New drivers have been sent Simon. Let the forum know how you get on.
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby Simpor » Sep 23 05 10:10 am

Well the new drivers did not help. Still the same problem. Tried to reinstall wingate with the same result. This time did I disable my ordinary firewall and used wingates firewall..

My config:
Win XP pro with sp2
Latest wingate vpn + the new drivers.
A direct connection to the internet, no router.
running rip2client as a service

Have also tried to connect to your test network, I can login and see the walrus computer, but it shows up as not accessible
There is no blocked packages in the wingate firewall

Our network admin gave me the some tips:
- Netbios is active in my network-config
- The firewall service in windows is disabled
- I have disabled the dhcp in wingate

Do not know what more I can test.. I also think that I did not deactivate the license correctly when I reinstalled wingate.. I could not connect to the licensing server anyway.

/Simon

jamesc wrote:New drivers have been sent Simon. Let the forum know how you get on.
Simpor

Postby jamesc » Sep 23 05 9:49 pm

The RIP2 client does not need to be ran on the WinGate Host, or the WinGate Joiner. It only needs to be run on computers that need to participate in the VPN on the local network, and they dont have their gateway set to the WinGate VPN.

If the computers on the local network that need to participate in the VPN DO have their gateway pointing to the WinGate VPN server, then the RIP2 client is not needed on that network.

The firewall service in windows is disabled

Through Windows Services correct; doing it in the GUI via control panel does not always work. Do the VPN participants have any firewalls? No nortons or anything?

Also, please note, you must check if your network adapters were correctly detected by WinGate. (Gatekeeper --> View menu --> Networks)... The network card pointing towards the LAN should be marked as Internal, and the network card / modem pointing towards the internet should be marked as "External"

jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby Simpor » Sep 24 05 4:32 am

Have disabled the window firewall as a service.

My internet network card is showing up as external with the correct IP. And I have no LAN, since I only have one computer.

I have a 10MBit connection with a public IP.

Disabled the rip2client since it should be needed.

What is it more to test for me to get a connection??
Simpor

Postby jamesc » Sep 24 05 11:43 am

Do you use the RealTek 8029 network card?

To check, look at the Description field of the following command

(Windows) Start menu --> run --> cmd --> ipconfig/all

If you are still having problems, please send an email to sales@wingate.com, reference this forum post and attach the following:

ipconfig/all
(Windows) Start menu --> cmd --> ipconfig/all >> C:\ipa.txt
route print
(Windows) Start menu --> cmd --> route print >> C:\ipr.txt
(Navigate to C:\ after running these commands)
WinGate Registry
(Windows) Start menu --> Programs --> WinGate --> Advanced Options --> Registry --> Export Settings
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby Simpor » Sep 25 05 9:50 pm

I have sent an email with all the information.
And nope, not using that network card
Simpor

Postby Simpor » Oct 03 05 10:14 am

Simpor wrote:I have sent an email with all the information.
And nope, not using that network card

did you get my email?? I haven't got any reply yet.
Simpor

Postby jamesc » Oct 04 05 4:52 pm

Hi Simon,

Yes I did get your email (after searching), sorry for the delay. Your ipconfig and route print look fine. I loaded your registry into a test machine and that looked ok too. It was the registry from the WinGate joiner, and I tried to connect into the VPN to see what problems you were having, but it times out.

1. Is that VPN still active?
2. And if so, can we get the updated details so we can connect in and see what issues you are facing?
3. Do you need a license deactivated? send the details into sales@wingate.com and reference this forums link.
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Postby Simpor » Oct 05 05 8:38 am

jamesc wrote:1. Is that VPN still active?
2. And if so, can we get the updated details so we can connect in and see what issues you are facing?
3. Do you need a license deactivated? send the details into sales@wingate.com and reference this forums link.

The VPN is active other working members are using it.
I'm having the same problem when I'm connecting to your test network.
I can login into the qbiktest domain and I see the walrus computer, but it shows up as not accessible.

I'm gonna check with out networkguy too see if you can get the connection details.

I will send an email later with the license that I think need deactivation.
Simpor

My VPN established, but the computer is not accessible.

Postby trungtin » Oct 13 05 12:45 am

My Wingate VPN server run on the Windows 2003, the wingate vpn client run on Window 2000 pro, both is behind the NAT device, The client can establish with the server. But Client is not accessble the server. Please help. it is heard that the new driver can help me. Please send it to me. Thanks.
trungtin

Postby Marek » Oct 13 05 4:13 am

Hello together,
We are just trying out your software and I read through your forum, we have the same problem here as stated in the first post.
Could you please send us the new VPN driver for Windows XP?

TIA
Marek
Marek

Postby cam » Oct 14 05 10:53 pm

Ditto.

I am unable to access the Wingate Server which is runningon XP pro,as is the client. Could I also be sent the new driver

Ta
cam

Postby tommyrsk » Oct 15 05 4:36 am

Hi,

I do have the same problem here. I'm behind NAT. Could you please send me the new driver? I'm using Windows XP Pro and Windows 2000 Pro.

Tommyrsk
tommyrsk

Next

Return to WinGate VPN