Cannot Collect MAil

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Cannot Collect MAil

Postby ajdionne » Sep 12 05 6:37 pm

Hello!

I have been fighting a monster that I cannot resolve.

a) Connection on port 809 allows me tp brwose share on remote network no problem

b) Running oulook test - the test succeed of it shows all check mark O.K

c) I cannot send neither collect any mail through vpn port

Try so many thing with no success. The server shows user checking mail but there is no upload from server to remote laptop.

The more I try binding etc. the more this thing dies

HELPPPPPPPP!!

P.S. Hi Adrian
ajdionne

Postby MattP » Sep 13 05 1:18 pm

How have you set up the mail collection?

I assume that the mail server is sitting on the host side of the VPN and you've got the mail clients set to connect to the mail server by listing the private IP address of the mail server?

Is the mail server the same machine as the WinGate VPN host server that you're connecting to?
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby ajdionne » Sep 13 05 1:30 pm

Hello Matt,

Good to talk to you again. This problem has develop gradualy. On the internal network 192.168.X.X (south adapter) all my workstation are able to collect and send mail.

It is on tha laptop that connect through VPN that the problem exist. I am able to browse share etc. on the mail server. My setup for outlook on laptop is identical to other machine on network. So I run email test in outlook and it says that is o.k. As a matter of fact on internal network I can collect the test message.

But laptop just sit there until the message of time out come on. I notice on server looking at history a large amount of POP message and sometimes it just goes on and goes until I stop service and restart it.

I am at the point of stupidity with binding! I follow the manual to the letter for scenario of ISP is Hosting email and setup adapter for pop and smtp.

At this point I am totally confuse from trying different thing
ajdionne

Postby ajdionne » Sep 13 05 3:29 pm

Sorry Matt!

Yes the mail server is also hosting the VPN connection.
ajdionne

Postby ajdionne » Sep 13 05 5:48 pm

Also Matt i when I try to to a remote desktop I cannot bring the window logon screen on server thus the connection ran out.

It looks to me that wingate is not authenticating me on the server. Is it possible that I am using a certificate?
ajdionne

Postby jamesc » Sep 14 05 8:25 pm

1. So you can copy and paste files over the VPN?
2. Can you check your MTU?

When you are connected into the VPN host from the VPN joiner, you can do a small test to establish your correct MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit). If the WinGate Hosts' internal IP Address is 192.168.0.1, then from the joiner, do the following.

(Windows) Start Menu --> Run --> cmd

Code: Select all
ping -l 1500 -f 192.168.0.1

If you do not receive replys then lower the 1500 to say 1000

ping -l 1000 -f 192.168.0.1

If you do not receive replys then lower the 1000 to say 600

ping -l 600 -f 192.168.0.1

Once you start getting replys, edge the number up from 600 to say 800 etc etc... until you find your optimum setting. Once you have obtained it, download this utility: http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

And if you have a dial up connection, you must place the MTU into the red box as shown in image below. Once done, restart your computer and try to connect to your database again.

You should test back from the host to the joiner too.
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN