To connect to non-Wingate vpn server

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

To connect to non-Wingate vpn server

Postby hbb » Sep 13 05 3:53 pm

l am trying to see if i can connect to a VPN server that is not wingate using VPN to join feature and publish route locally. what happens when i use window dial to vpn i lost all my connection.
hbb

Postby MattP » Sep 13 05 4:24 pm

Hi,

You can NOT connect to a non-WinGate VPN server with a WinGate VPN server. WinGate VPN uses a proprietary protocol for VPN so it is not compatible with other VPN software/hardware solutions.
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby hbb » Sep 23 05 1:53 pm

what about window client to WINGATE VPN server?
do i have to use wingate client to connect to wingate server?
MattP wrote:Hi,

You can NOT connect to a non-WinGate VPN server with a WinGate VPN server. WinGate VPN uses a proprietary protocol for VPN so it is not compatible with other VPN software/hardware solutions.
hbb

Postby MattP » Sep 23 05 4:43 pm

You can only connect a WinGate VPN server to a WinGate VPN server.

The WinGate Internet Client is an application for LAN clients to connect to a WinGate server, it is not for use with the WinGate VPN.

What you have to do is set up the WinGate VPN host server to host a VPN, then set up a remote WinGate VPN machine to connect to the host server.

Any LAN clients behind these servers can connect through the WinGate servers to reach the other side of the VPN.

If you've got your WinGate VPN server set up and you want to see how it works then you can join our test server. Just download the configuration file here and copy it into WinGate. The login credentials are:

Username: test
Password: 1234
MattP
Qbik Staff

Postby jamesc » Sep 23 05 7:29 pm

Adding to Matt's comments, there is a step by step guide for creating a WinGate VPN in this forum post: http://forums.qbik.com/viewtopic.php?p=16108#16108
jamesc
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN