Wingate VPN update problem.

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Wingate VPN update problem.

Postby jeff » Jun 05 09 10:20 am

Hi,

I'm trying to update my VPN-only servers (currently using 2.5.3 build 1234, a special version compiled by Adrian).
When I launch the VPN only installer, i have this message :

Once, I installed using "Full Wingate installer" (but still using my VPN only licences). Adrien said no matter installing full or vpn-only installer, the functionnalities are given with the license type.

But Since, impossible to update to a new "VPN-only" version without uninstalling (need to save all certificates, registry, logs ... otherwise they are deleted !!).

The installer seems to be thinking I have a full wingate version installed !!! (but with VPN only license !!)

Is there a way to change someting (registry key or whatever) to make the installer doesn't think anymore I'm running a full Version ?

- - -

By the way, the gatekeeper "about" screen should change a bit !

Great Job !! Keep going !!

Best regards

Jeff
Last edited by jeff on Jun 13 09 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
jeff

Re: Wingate VPN update problem.

Postby jeff » Jun 05 09 11:09 am

Hi,

I found a "temporary" issue to complete the latest vpn-only installer without uninstalling the previous version (and datas !)

Using a command line, I type (in the wingate directory)
C:\program files\wingate\>wingate -s (to stop the service)
C:\program files\wingate\>wingate -u (to uninstall the service)

Then I run the vpn-only installer, and everything goes OK. All datas are kept.

But after rebooting the machine, if I run another time the the latest vpn-ony installer (or any other previous vpn-only installer) to simulate an update, I still have the same message saying a version of Wingate is already installed ...

If I reboot another time, I loose the wingate VPN monitor's "start / stop VPN engine" facilities

Before

Now

So if there is an issue .... (without uninstalling) ...

As far as it's running on operational servers, I would like the Wingate installation to be as "clean" as possible.

Regards

Jeff
Jeff
jeff

Postby jeff » Jun 13 09 8:11 am

I tried to install the Wingate VPN-only on a brand new XP SP3 clean installation.
And I get the same result.

After rebooting twice, the installer thinks it's a wingate full installation. (and the Start/stop engine facilities are gone)

Regards.
Jeff
jeff

Postby adrien » Jun 25 09 4:01 pm

Hi Jeff

Looks like a coding change I made in March this year resets that setting in the registry which makes installers think it's a VPN only install. Whenever you edit the VPN settings and save changes, that reg value we sent you in the support ticket gets reset.

I'll have to make a code change to fix that.

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Postby jeff » Jul 02 09 8:49 pm

OK. Thanks Adrien.

I just give here the temporary issue with the REG VALUE if someone needs :

To tell the installer it's installing over a VPN only installation try the following..

1. Open Regedit.exe
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Qbik Software\WinGate\VPN
3. Create a REG_DWORD value called GUI, and set it to 1

REGEDIT 4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Qbik Software\WinGate\VPN]
"GUI"=dword:00000001

Each time you press the save button, this REG entry is deleted.

Best regards

Jeff
Jeff
jeff

Postby athenaz » Nov 29 09 7:23 pm

On a laptop how do you use VPN for private addresses and direct connect for public.? I am using my laptop to work from home and I connect to my company's network with a VPN. However, the company network blocks some applications such as Yahoo IM. Also, I don't want to use the VPN when I access the internet. Is there a way to set up routing on my laptop so that it uses the VPN connection for private addresses and my actual connection to my ISP for public addresses? Also, is there a way to split DNS lookups or at least try ISP first then VPN for the lookups?

Postby jeff » Dec 02 09 12:13 pm

Hi,

No problem using VPN to connect to your compagny's network and going directly to internet from your laptop. (using your local ISP)
When you connect, your compagny 's Wingate VPN Server and your Wingate VPN client will exchange their local IP's. (Public and Private or whatever you deciced using "customised routes" facility in both side VPN parameters)

Then Wingate VPN will make automatic routing :
- Packets for/from your compagny will pass thru the VPN
- Other Packets will go directy to the internet.

There is no "default route (0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0)" sending everything thru the VPN (as PPTP does by default)

I'm not using the far-end DNS (on compagny's side), but I guess you can add your compagny's DNS.
Windows is able to search on more than 2 DNS (advanced NIC settings). You can also add manually DNS in Wingate. In the manual it says : "WinGate will always attempt to use the DNS server(s) listed here first before trying any other DNS servers".

Regards

Jeff
Jeff
jeff

Postby adrien » Mar 21 15 8:49 am

Hi Rose

which version is this? WinGate 7 onwards doesn't have a separate installer for VPN, and the UI when you have only a VPN license installed vs the UI when you have a WinGate license installed is less different. Basically from WinGate 7 onwards, VPN was a feature set of WinGate (which it always was, just presented differently) so it just removes non-VPN features from the UI (like http cache etc).

Regards

Adrien
adrien
Qbik Staff

Return to WinGate VPN