Trying to Setup Trial

Forum for all technical support and trouble shooting of the WinGate VPN.

Moderator: Qbik Staff

Trying to Setup Trial

Postby igoTtavPn » Sep 21 05 10:06 am

Hi

Been trying to get a proof of concept workable Windows VPN solution using Wingate VPN over the last few days.. Been a bit bumpy.. lol

Here's what I'm planning on implementing (final product):

1) XP machine (joiner)
2) NAT Dsl/Cable router (unsure of what the final brand of device will be.. may be different brands)
3) Internet (currently just using another NAT DSL/Cable gateway to act as a switch and assign IP addresses to the 2 routers sitting behind it)
4) NAT Dsl/cable router (with 810 poked through for TCP)
5) XP machine (host'er using Port 810 for data and Commands)
6) Nat DSL/Cable Router (with hole poked through for RealVNC)
7) XP computer running RealVNC server listening for incomming connections

Basiclly, the RealVNC client will run through the VPN tunnel, and then go through a hole in a 2nd NAT Dsl/Cable router to access a machine behind it.

I've had some issues with Wingate not liking a OVISlink 10mb network card (#5) (a Reltek 10/100 was uses as a replacement which solved the issue)

After a lot of pain and suffering, I’m now at the point where I believe some of the NAT Cable/DSL router that I'm testing are blocking the UDP data traffic.

It looks as if my SMC Barricade 7004abr and DLINK 704P are blocking UDP traffic (when installed into position #2)

If I use a Netgear MR814 (in position #2), and a LinksysBEFSR41 (in Position #4), then I’m able to connect, and the joiner machine (#1) can ping the host’er machine (#5)

Now if I put either the SMC or the Dlink in (in position #2), then I’m able to connect (TCP command channel); but am now unable to ping

I’m using a non standard port of 810 (same for command and data); but it looks like even though I’ve set the command/data port to 810 on the host, that port 809 is still being used by the Host Wingate VPN machine. The reason for thinking this is that when I check the limited Dlink firewall logs, I see that the #4 NAT DSL/Cable router is trying to connect back to the Join’er machine using port 809

Has anyone seen similar issues? And if so, were they able to get around this?

I’ve tried to open up UDP/TCP port ranges (Virtual server hardcoded to the internal IP and Application rules) on the non working routers in position #2; but still am not able to get the data channel working

Thanks in advance for your assistance ;-)

Paul
igoTtavPn

Postby igoTtavPn » Sep 21 05 10:21 am

Hi

Got it working

Added an applicaton ruleset to trigger on TCP port 810, and allow UDP 809 through

I though I'd tried this before; but must of not set it up, enabled it, or maybe didn't reset the router

I have some other questions, but I'll create a new post for them

Thanks

Paul
igoTtavPn

Return to WinGate VPN